Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Decks, Patios, Porches, Walkways, Driveways, Stairs, Steps and Docks
Reload this Page >

Need Advice Regarding Proper Grouting Between Bluestone On A Outdoor Terrace

Old 04-24-17, 05:48 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm helping a dear friend select a mason contractor to repair her bluestone outdoor terrace and I'm looking for some advice.

We live in Upstate NY where we get pretty severe winters with a lot of snow and freezing conditions.

Her terrace is about 250-300 square feet and is covered with large, though random sized, pieces of square precut 1"-1 1/2" thick bluestones.

The problem is that a previous contractor ground out the grout lines between all the stones and filled the grout lines with a product that turned to a powdery consistency within 12 months and she wants to have it repaired properly.

I'm a fairly experienced DIY but not a mason and agreed to help her talk with and obtain repair estimates from experienced masons who she hopes to contract to complete the repair.

Yesterday, we met with a masonry contractor with 30 years experience who if she hired him said he would grind out the grout lines down to the base which is a poured concrete slab. He said he would then fill most of the 1" - 1 1/2" deep grout lines with masonry cement then put TILE GROUT on the top 1/4"-1/2".

We questioned the use of tile grout because he's the first contractor to suggest using it but he said he has found that tile grout bonds extremely well to the blue stone and will not crack or separate and will seal the joint to prevent moisture from getting under the blue stones and disrupting the bond between the stones and the concrete base.

My question to people on this forum experienced with outdoor masonry, is this guy a crackpot or is he a visionary who is ahead of his competition?

I would appreciate your comments and suggestions so I can help my friend.

Thank you

Dom

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-17, 05:32 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Someone must know the answer!

Old 04-26-17, 04:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Grout will bond better than concrete, so he has a point. I have never done what you are describing needs to be done. If he has 30 years experience and the other two contractors have the same, you have a good consensus to go with.