Deck repair - dry time

Old 04-25-17, 08:03 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck repair - dry time

My deck was extended in the fall of last year using pressure treated pine. I have a few issues that will require a several spindles, railing, etc. to be replaced. I waited until the spring for the wood to dry so I could paint it (Arborcoat Solid). Do I now need to wait to paint the replacement wood?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-17, 08:16 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Yes, 4 to 6 months depending on climate. The wood is very we when installed, painting or staining too early will cause the finish to flake off.

Old 04-25-17, 08:22 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To avoid having a 1/2 painted deck, would it be OK to paint everything and perform a repaint in the fall?

Old 04-25-17, 08:42 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Sigh, your wood needs to dry out, that will not happen if you seal/paint it now. Instead you will have forever ongoing problems with the moisture wanting to get out and it can't. You will never get the results you want if you short change best practices. Who cares is you have a half finished deck for a few months? Are the neighbors going to call the authorities on you? Be patient, and do it right the first time.

Old 04-26-17, 05:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
A lot depends on how wet the PT wood is when bought/installed. 6 weeks to 6 months depending on how wet it was when nailed up and the weather it's exposed to is a pretty good rule of thumb. If you haven't already installed the replacement pieces you might check and see if what you need comes dried - you will pay a premium for dried PT wood and not everyone carries it.

I agree with Z, to play it safe you're best bet is to not stain the new pieces of PT!