Trailer Deck needs replacing

Old 04-30-17, 03:27 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trailer Deck needs replacing

This is along the lines of decking, I suppose.

I need to replace the wood floor of a trailer and was wondering whether a resurfacer like Rust-O-leum's 10X or the Behr product (I think its something like Deck-X) with their non-skid quality would adhere well to pressure treated wood or would it begin to flake off with vibration? I'm looking for something that will help the wood last as long as possible coating it top and bottom. Or would it be better to just go with non-treated wood and preserve it with a regular water proofing agent?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-17, 03:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Your pressure treated needs to dry before any kind of paint or sealer is put on.

Old 04-30-17, 04:16 PM
O
Drying time

Right, which can take quite a while as I understand. I was wondering whether or not the treatment on PT wood would keep anything like the sealants I mentioned from sticking or should I prime the wood with something?

Old 04-30-17, 05:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You don't want to use any of those deck coatings on the floor of a trailer. It will last about 10 minutes. That is if you use your trailer It will chip and wear pretty badly. I replace my trailers' decking with 2x pressure treated carriage bolted to the frame and get a good 10 to 15 years out of it without doing any painting, etc.

Old 04-30-17, 06:32 PM
O
PT wood lifespan

I wish we could get that kind of life out of the PT wood here in W. Tx. If we don't treat with something the Sun will eat decks and exposed wood like this up in 3 years on the outside. I've tried Thompson's Water Seal on new panels I installed on a head catcher last summer and they're already beginning to crack. I put a gallon, total, on the different 2x12s and they sucked it up like a sponge. That's why I was looking for something that would do a better job on this trailer. I was wondering if those products would chip given a trailer's rough wear and tear, though.

Old 04-30-17, 06:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
Some farm implement trailers have beds made of high density plastic lumber.

Old 04-30-17, 06:51 PM
O
Synthetic decking

I've seen something sort of like that at Lowe's but it really wasn't thick enough or ridged enough to suit me. I may take another look at it, though. Our newest livestock trailer has some kind of knobby rubber surfaced synthetic decking in it that runs cross-ways but don't know how much it costs.

Old 05-01-17, 04:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
The PT wood needs to dry from the pressure treating process before you apply any coating! Thompson WaterSeal does a good job of protecting from moisture but not so much from sunlight. The big issue with TWS is it's short life as it usually needs recoating every 6-12 months. Most any deck stain will work, you could even apply a coat of used motor oil to protect the wood.

Old 05-01-17, 08:00 AM
O
Motor oil on wood

The previous generation out here used motor oil on wood trailer floors for preservation. That may very well be a good thing to revisit. I have plenty of it as the recyclers in my area have cut way back on taking in old oil. I was hoping, though, that there was something more effective that had come along by now.

Thanks for reminding me.

Old 05-01-17, 08:06 AM
B
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Elderly friend of mine always did his shovel handles etc with boiled linseed oil. Looks nice, not sure how much protection it provides.

Old 05-01-17, 09:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Boiled linseed oil works good but should be cut in half with mineral spirits, straight out of the can it's too oily and leaves a tacky residue. I have a fence behind the barn that I coat with burnt motor oil, sometimes mixed with thompson's water seal.

Old 05-01-17, 08:33 PM
M
I use fluids from my tractor after changing with a tiny bit of diesel added..works great.

Old 05-04-17, 07:06 PM
O
Sidetracked again

Sorry for not getting back to y'all on this. I'll be spending a while under my truck before I can get back to this project. I finally remembered that there was a store of oil soaked wood in our tractor barn so I'm going to have my son install that for now. When the bed is sufficiently restored for now I'll go in and get a load of wood and set it aside to let it dry for a while.

Thanks.