living space on a deck

Old 05-01-17, 08:26 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
living space on a deck

I'm planning a new deck, 12 by 30. It will be about five feet off the ground, attached to the house. I would like to build it with the idea of enclosing part of it as living space in a couple of years.

What do I do about the flooring? Do I use regular subflooring? Do I need to cover the decking with treated plywood and then regular subflooring? Or something else entirely?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-17, 08:31 AM
Received 377 Votes on 352 Posts
The flooring used for an outdoor deck (and even construction) is going to be different for something that is enclosed.

Are you thinking about something simple like a screened in area vs 4 season room?

What about roof?

Lot to consider making sure your structure is capable of the final configuration.

Old 05-01-17, 08:47 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Bite the bullet and pull the permits and make it living space right from the start.

Old 05-01-17, 09:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
While it doesn't matter so much whether or not it's turned into living space now or later, what does matter is how it's built. Living space is generally held to a higher standard both in floor joist construction and it's foundation. While an inspector may let the footer slide some on a deck, he won't for living space and you don't want to have to redo the support later on to satisfy the inspector when that portion of the deck is converted to living space.

Old 05-02-17, 06:28 AM
A
Thanks for the answers! This is a great site I wish I had found years ago.

So, would it be better to build the two as separate things? My original idea was that the deck and the room could share foundations. Would it be easier/better to build the room now and then add the deck?

Old 05-02-17, 09:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It's possible the deck and room can use the same set of footers/foundation but the room will be held to a higher standard. There is a lot more weight involved with a room versus a deck [walls, ceiling, furniture, etc] so it may require a better footer and large floor joists.

It's always easier to build it all at the same time but I understand the budget doesn't always accommodate that. If I was to build one first - it'd be the room.

almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Old 05-02-17, 07:22 PM
A
I'm thinking now that the best course of action might be to sub out the footer for the room addition and build the room. Then, in a couple of years--after saving up, add the deck with the usual piers or posts.

I can do the carpentry, wiring, and roofing but lack experience with concrete other than pouring a basic slab.

Thanks again!

Old 05-03-17, 03:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Your local permit office should have the specs on what you need for a footer, some have brochures covering some of the stuff they want to see so you can pass inspection.

Old 05-03-17, 04:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 636 Votes on 588 Posts
I would build the addition onto the house then add the deck later. If you search through this forum you will find many threads of people seeking help with their decks/patios that were enclosed and are having troubles. The construction for heated, finished space is very different than that of a deck and upgrading a deck to heated, finished space rarely comes out looking proper.