6x6 post for vinyl railing...surface mount..any ideas???

Old 05-24-17, 03:20 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
6x6 post for vinyl railing...surface mount..any ideas???

I just finished the decking of my composite deck with some issues but think its for the most part fixed.

Now on to the next issue....

I have to install the deck railing and I really like the look of the 6x6 posts instead of the traditional 4x4 posts.

only issue I have only found one product that would allow me to use a 6x6.

Its the titan 6x6 post mount. I have a bunch of left over 6x6x6 that I can use but they have really gone up in price recently.
(https://www.amazon.com/6x6-Post-Anch...x6+post+anchor)

I noticed that Lowes sells a 4x4 Fiberon Surface mount post for around $40. Its all steel so I assume its stronger then the titan and wood. Its also probably straighter. But with this I am going to have to shim it 1.5" to get it to the 5.5 of the 6x6.

These metal posts from the deck store are around $35
General Purpose 42" Post Mounts | The Deck Store - Low Prices on Deck Accessories & Deck Supplies

Im interested in hearing your opinions one way or another on a good next step.

Thanks

Old 05-24-17, 03:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Your posts should have been made part of the initial install. Using 6x6, notch out 7 1/2" x 2", leaving 3 1/2" along side of the band board which should be a 2x8, bolting the 6x6 to the band board in two places using 1/2" carriage bolts and washers and nuts, after you cut out your decking to allow it to sit flat against the band. This description shows use of 4x4, but you can always beef things up. See pages 19 and 20. http://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standar...Guide-1405.pdf

Old 05-24-17, 03:48 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Post a picture of what you've done so far.
The time to have installed the 6 X 6 post was before the decking was done to add the needed supports.
No way would I be adding surface mounted post on a deck, they needed to be tied into the rim and floor joist.

Old 05-24-17, 07:42 PM
B
why cant I surface mount into the joists and blocking? I didnt want to have to cut out the decking with a jig saw and notch each deck board to accept the 6x6 or 4x4.

These look pretty beefy to me. Attached to blocking and the joists, wont this be just as strong
LMT Products: Shopping Cart

Old 05-24-17, 07:45 PM
B
Maybe I am not fully understanding you. But the railing is vinyl raining and I am not going to attach it on the rim or sides of the joists.

according to fiberon I can use their 4x4 surface mount post. Is this not strong enough? Azek sells their own brand also

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fiberon-Pos...nt-Kit/4196463

Old 05-25-17, 05:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I would use the approved Fiberon method before I would drive that monster plate into a 6x6 and pray it holds to my decking. I should think 4x4 would be sufficient.

Old 05-25-17, 06:52 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Guessing you did not get any permits to build this deck, if you had of they would have required you to build the rails into the framing for far more strength.
https://www.google.com/search?q=deck...2vRFRqYWWlwjM:
Composite decking has very little holding power.

Old 05-25-17, 11:36 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
First off you are showing 2 different, but similar, railing post mounting systems.

The Titan mount, which I have on my current deck, is for wood posts. The others are for the composite sleeves.

Both require sufficient blocking which had to be installed flush to the the deck structure and securely attached to the rim joist and deck joists. The posts are then installed on top of the deck surface.

Guessing you did not get any permits to build this deck, if you had of they would have required you to build the rails into the framing for far more strength.
Negative, there is nothing inappropriate about these types of railings (and yes I did have a permit) if installed correctly.

My Titan railings with 4" posts are as strong as any post installed into the rim joist but the installation is simple, no notching the decking around the posts.

Old 06-01-17, 10:03 PM
B
I have a permit for my deck. I've passed the framing inspection and I am going to finish up soon for the final inspection

Old 06-01-17, 10:07 PM
B
Marq, yea I didn't realize the titans were only for wood decks. I thought I could just toss a 6x6 post sleeve over it. But once I saw the post skirts for the titan are 7 5/8" I figured it would look weird.

I just bought the compostite sleeve posts and will have to space the top and bottom so it fits a 6x6 post sleeve.

Thanks

Old 06-01-17, 10:10 PM
B
Chandler,

Fiberon sells the surface mount posts and gives you a choice whether to use a 4x4 mounted or their brand of surface mounts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: