How to repair a hole in a twin-wall polycarbonate panel ?

Old 06-30-17, 01:16 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to repair a hole in a twin-wall polycarbonate panel ?

I dropped a tool on my sundeck's canopy while futzing around on the roof, leaving a nice round 3/8" hole in a clear twin-wall polycarbonate panel. I covered the hole with UV-resistant tape until I can make a more permanent repair.

A web search brought up a few suggestions: 1) use adhesive-backed plastic film (AKA "Fablon"); 2) superglue a polycarbonate chunk onto the panel; or 3) cover the hole with a hot-melt glue gun.

Frankly, I can't see the Fablon lasting long with the sun constantly beating down on it. The superglued patch might work, but would probably be an eyesore. The glue gun sounds feasible, but will it hold up to the elements?

I was thinking a blob of clear silicone sealant might work. Any other ideas before I climb back up there?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-17, 02:46 AM
Received 396 Votes on 370 Posts
I'm not familiar with the panels but an option would be sealing the bottom and filling with epoxy.

Old 06-30-17, 05:14 AM
D
I should have posted the common brand name for polycarbonate: LEXAN. That might give folks a better idea of the type of material that I'm talking about. Also, here's an image of a typical transparent twin-wall panel:

Name:  extrusion-polycarbonate-roof-hollow-sunlight-sheet-sunlight-panel-sunlight-plate-82.jpg
Views: 3331
Size:  31.6 KB

Anyway, the hole is in the top surface of the panel. The bottom surface isn't perforated. Repair is my only real option because replacing this panel (which is 12 ft. long x 2.5 ft. wide) would require dismantling the canopy and probably cost about $125.

Old 06-30-17, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
I would seal the hole with clear silicone.

Old 07-01-17, 01:25 AM
D
Yeah, silicone sealant does seem like the best bet. It's cheap, easy to apply, and weatherproof. Thanks.

Old 07-01-17, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Or a sealant called Loctite Stick and Seal. This is absolutely the best stuff in this class I've ever used. It's a contact cement but also seals holes in just about anything. Hasn't yellowed in our sun out here in the 12 mo or so it's been exposed.

Great for just about every dissimilar surface I've found. I've used it to adhere bases to magazines (gun stuff) as well as plexi to wood and metal to wood. I seriously couldn't break the bond without tools.

Old 07-01-17, 03:59 AM
Received 396 Votes on 370 Posts
I've used this to repair an old vinyl banner that has age cracks and it works great, would be an easy first try, states no yellowing!

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 2828
Size:  44.3 KB

Old 07-01-17, 05:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
Ooo Marq, that is a great idea! I have also used that tape with very good results outside.

Old 07-01-17, 05:40 PM
D
I mentioned in my original post that I used UV-proof tape (this stuff) to temporarily patch the hole. It's similar to the Gorilla Tape, except with a weird lime-green colour.

Maybe I'll leave the tape on there and see how it lasts during the summer. If it peels off, then I can try the silicone sealant. The Loctite glue sounds like an idea, too. I have a bottle of Gorilla Gel Glue that appears to be an identical product.

Thanks for the ongoing stream of ideas!

Old 07-01-17, 05:48 PM
D
Hmm, after looking at the Loctite site, it appears that super glue can potentially melt Lexan. Instead, they recommend a product called Epoxy Plastic Bonder which is specially formulated for polycarbonate.

One more item to add to the memory bank, I guess.