Ledger VS Freestand and stability

Old 07-05-17, 09:56 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ledger VS Freestand and stability

Needing some expert options. I had a 33'x 13' patio extension laid last summer. I'm ready to start the patio cover this year but am torn between a freestanding or ledger support. The section the Ledger would tie into is Hardiplank which covers an older ceder siding (done by previous owners). I feel like this might get to be very involved depending on what I find when I cut the siding out. There is an existing covered area that I dont want to tie into but rather take the new cover a few inches higher and have an overhang to prevent rain from entering. This will put the new roof approx 12' high at the house and slope down to 9' at the edge of the patio. I think the ledger installation would give me more support from sway but I would rather do a freestanding. I want a full shingled roof and not a pergula style, so it will have some weight to it. The support posts will be 6x6 (4 in front, 5 in back (due to a picture book window issue) and will need to be attached direct to the concrete. So what is the best way to prevent sway on something this large or should I even be worried?\

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  32.4 KB

Sponsored Links