Cleaning stain off composite deck

Old 07-13-17, 08:50 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cleaning stain off composite deck

Hi everyone,

We recently purchased a house that was built in 2013. The deck is made of composite decking with wood railing around it. The previous owners stained the railing and there are several areas where the stain had splashed and settled on the composite decking. I cannot locate anywhere on the deck what the brand or manufacturer is. I see that with some composite decking, isopropyl alcohol can be used to fix this issue, but other types of deck don't mention this as an option. Anyone have any ideas? Is isopropyl alcohol generally safe on all composite decking? Thanks in advance for any help! Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-17, 09:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I doubt rubbing alcohol will have much if any effect on the dried stain. Do you know if the stain is latex? or oil base? Denatured alcohol along with products like 'goof off' and 'oops' will dissolve dried latex paints/stains. I don't think it will harm the composite but I don't know for sure. Sometimes carefully scraping off the dried errant paint works best.

Old 07-13-17, 02:56 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much for that information! Looking at the can we found in the basement, it appears to be water-based (Sherwin Williams SuperDeck Exterior Waterborne Semi-Solid Color Stain).

Old 07-13-17, 03:20 PM
Received 396 Votes on 370 Posts
long time composite decker, if it's conventional stain, for wood, your out of luck, composite is impervious to a lot of items but that is going to hang around.

Might lighten up with the sun but nothing will clean it up.

SorrY!!!

Old 07-14-17, 09:36 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I don't own one so I'm guessing but would a pressure washer accomplish anything on this?

Old 07-16-17, 11:25 AM
Received 8 Votes on 6 Posts
alcohol or mineral spirits may ruin a composite deck. Most mfgrs recommend a detergent wash, like Dawn, with gentle scrubbing. I think your only other alternative is a stain matching your deck color, but that may be problematic.