Intersecting porch beams

Old 07-17-17, 08:14 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Intersecting porch beams

I intend to build a wraparound porch. The deck portion of the porch will be built so that the tops of the beams are flush with the tops of the joists.

The porch will have two outer beams that make a 90* angle and meet at the outer corner of the wraparound. My question is, how should these beams be built where they intersect? I thought of having them meet at a butt joint on top of the 6x6 post. My concern with this is that while one of the two beams will have a full 5.5" of the post supporting it, the other beam will only have 2.5" of the post supporting it. Is this acceptable?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-17, 09:26 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The beams should hang on the side of the post with joist hangers not set on top. That way the beams can be doubled, in both directions.

Old 07-17-17, 09:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
Unless your post HAS to be on the corner, I would suggest you use 2 posts instead of just one, (one near the end of each beam) and cantilever the beams over the posts at the corner. They can intersect however you like as long as the amount of beam cantilever is less than L/4. (See DCA 6 figures 3, 8, 10.)

Do not put your beams in hangers unless you are going to have your deck design checked by an engineer who can run the numbers to make sure the maximum limits of the joist hangers are not exceeded.