What to do with downspout

Old 08-08-17, 04:07 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What to do with downspout

Howdy,

We plan on putting in a concrete patio in the backyard, however, there's a downspout smack in the middle of our planned patio. At the moment, we have a solid corrugated drain pipe attached to it and is buried in the ground.

What are your thoughts on what we should do with that downspout/drain pipe? Someone at work said, "replace the drain pipe with a solid PVC pipe and then pour the concrete over that", but I'm unsure if that's the right thing to do. I could remove the drain pipe and have it above the concrete patio, but the wife says that looks "ugly".

Old 08-08-17, 04:32 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A dry well is one possibility. I would run a pipe underground, to the end of the patio in case future access is needed.

Old 08-08-17, 04:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Dry wells and French drains don't work well in the soils around my house. They just can't accept water fast enough to be useful especially during larger rain events.

We can't see your patio area or the elevations but I would go with the smooth PVC to run under your patio. I would use schedule 40 (the type used for drain pipes inside homes) for it's greater strength. It will be difficult to find a fitting that mates the round sch 40 PVC to rectangular downspout but they do exist. Most big box home centers do not stock them so you may have to special order or find them online.

Old 08-08-17, 04:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Our local big box sells the thin wall PVC fittings that connect it to the downspout and another fitting that will go from thin wall to regular PVC.

Old 08-08-17, 05:01 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Downspout

Install new guttering and have the downspout moved to a more suitable location.

Old 08-08-17, 09:13 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
we have a solid corrugated drain pipe attached to it and is buried in the ground.
Have same pipe under my drive way for the past 20 years, as long as it's sloped sufficiently and draining away from the house then your good.

Could replace with PVC pipe but results are still the same.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: