Amateur building deck needs help/opinion

Old 08-16-17, 01:56 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Amateur building deck needs help/opinion

Good afternoon all. I'm new to this site and I'm having a hard time finding topics that relate to mine. So here goes nothing...

I'm almost finished redoing my deck(deck was there before i bought the house) and I've replaced the deck boards with trex and the wood railings with pvc ones. It was structurally sound minus the need to add some more joist because of switching to trex. The issue i'm having is with the 4x4 railing posts. They were notched out and attached to the inside of the deck so it sits flush against the outer end joists and rim joist. Ive seen alot of decks where the post is offset into the deck so when you put the post skirt down, it doesnt overhang the edge of the deck. That is where my problem lays, the post skirt when slid over the post, hangs over the edge of the deck by a good 1"-1 1/2"

I am torn between two options.
1. Adding another piece of wood (2x10 to match the exsisting wood) to the two end joists and the rim joist along with the white fascia board so it gives me more surface area so that the skirt wont over hang.

2. Carefully trim the back of the skirt (the part that you would see from ground level) so that its technically a 3 sided skirt.

With option 1, I'm afraid how that extra wood would look layered next to the trex (Brown trex, natural wood, white fascia) plus it'll add more cost to the deck project. Option 2 seems like a easy fix but i'm not sure how it would look from ground level.

Sorry for the lenghty post, but I dont have someone to ask who's a pro so I'm hoping to find my answer here. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-17, 02:12 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You'll never trim that skirt to make it look good. At least, I doubt that I could do it. Some pics might help.

Old 08-17-17, 02:36 AM
Received 394 Votes on 368 Posts
Notched railing posts are a no-no, should be avoided at all cost since you now have a very weak structure.

Other systems are available that surface mount the posts but you are beyond that option.