When to reseal asphalt driveway?

Old 08-19-17, 09:08 AM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
When to reseal asphalt driveway?

My driveway was repaved a few years ago and I had it professionally resealed for the first time in 2015, two years ago. I don't remember the product name but it was applied with a hose and sprayer so I assume it was a heated product.

This season I'm noticing several thin, shallow cracks, I believe are called stress cracks or fractures. Each is fairly short and narrow, really visible only after a rain. The driveway is, overall, in excellent shape and charcoal in color.

I'd like to find out how to determine if the driveway needs resealing. That is, what are the factors or issues I should be looking for in deciding when to reseal?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-19-17, 09:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Some say you should reseal every year and doing so does keep the driveway looking the nicest. IMO every 2-3 yrs is sufficient for most driveways.

Old 08-19-17, 11:16 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Every blacktop drive I had got sealed every other year.

If doing it yourself get a good squeegee, clean it well after use and it will last for years. A big brush works good to paint the edges, again clean well, A mixer for your drill, makes stirring a breeze.

And buy the "best" sealer, for the few extra dollars it really is better, the cheap stuff is like black water!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: