Removing ext. door threshold weakened frame/jambs; what to do now?

Old 10-04-17, 08:06 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing ext. door threshold weakened frame/jambs; what to do now?

Hello,

This thread is sort of a carryover of another thread I started asking for advice regarding recommended finishes for a wood threshold:

Replacing ext. threshold; need recommendations re: material, finish, etc...

I have now removed the threshold and, in doing so, I feel I've badly weakened the frame (jambs). I really tried to be careful when removing the threshold, but, as I pulled and twisted, the nail heads pulled through the jambs at the base. A lesser problem is that the interior casing was also cracked.

As I see it, my options are:
  • Replace the existing door and jamb with a new pre-hung. --or--
  • Try to tightly fit a new threshold in place and glue (I can't get behind the jamb to nail/screw into the side of the threshold).

A new pre-hung sounds like a nice option, but it will be costly. The threshold is already part of the structure of a pre-hung door and the thresholds included with pre-hungs do not have the look we want. We were hoping to keep the pre-existing look with the threshold "horns".
Attempting to tight fit a new threshold is less expensive, but, with cracks at the base of the jambs, I don't know if I'd be able to achieve a structurally sound frame.

I was not able to get a picture of the damaged base of the jambs, but I'm attaching a couple of images to give a basic idea of the situation.

Are there other approaches I should consider? What would you do?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images   
Old 10-05-17, 05:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
When you replace a sloped sill you usually have to glue the ends. You can add an angled block or two underneath to get it to sit at the correct height. Add blocking between joists as needed. Once you are sure the new sill is going to fit, pull it out a few inches and fill the cavity underneath with foam, then slide it into place and secure it.

Old 10-05-17, 07:30 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks @XSleeper.
So it sounds like you think the door frame is salvageable.

Old 10-05-17, 07:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Sure, sounds pretty normal to me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: