Question about type of prep for redwood deck

Old 10-24-17, 05:19 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about type of prep for redwood deck

Three or four years ago I power washed our three or four year old redwood deck and treated it with some kind of oil that had a very light transparent stain in it. It now needs cleaning and re treating. The wood is in good shape, just very dirty and covered with a lot of mildew. I've decided not to do it myself this time and got two bids from painting contractors. The first basically suggested doing what I did: power wash, light sanding, treat with oil (transparent stain added if desired). The second said that it needs chemical cleaning, followed by brightener, then treatment with the finishing product. He claims that if any existing stain (color) is left in the wood, a transparent stain and oil treatment will just sit on the surface of the wood and stay sticky forever, ie, it will not penetrate properly. Who to believe? Obviously one approach is cheaper than the other. PS, we are not interested in non transparent stain.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-17, 01:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
It's better to rely on chemicals for the cleaning than just pressure washing! Aggressively pressure washing can chew up the wood. I like to use bleach, it's cheap, effective and often negates the need for a wood brightener. Stain will usually adhere and dry OK over existing weathered stain but is somewhat dependent on the stain being used.