Will my stairs be off center?

Old 11-21-17, 03:28 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Will my stairs be off center?

I finally finished my deck and I am about to work on the stairs and i realized I may have messed something up.

Will my stairs be off center to the gate? If so how bad will that look and is it fixable?

I can’t move the 6x6s on the deck as the my are all attached and decking is cut.

The left 6x6 post ends at exactly where my chimney 2ft bump out ends.

The gate has a width of 34”.

I need my stairs to be 48” and to achieve that i am going to have to make the stairs extend on the right side because i have the chimney on the left.

I am thinking about running the stairs along the chimney and going out to the right 48” but I am concerned about how it look. It’s only a few inches off center. So not sure how noticeable it will be.

someone told me I can use 4x4s for the railings on the stairs rather then the 6x6s so that it will still look good. Will it look weird if i have 6x6 railing posts on the deck and 4x4 on the stairs?

Attached Images    
Old 11-21-17, 03:33 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Stairs going straight down to the patio?

Could make a landing past the gate wider than the gate and post then shift the stairs, at least it wont be right in front of the gate which will look odd!

Old 11-21-17, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I need my stairs to be 48”
Yeah, I think you should go with 4x4s, and make your stair width 34 + 5 1/2 + 5 1/2", or 45". (Your stairs need to be a minimum of 36" when measured between the guardrail posts, so this will allow them to be 38".)

See the DCA6 for guardrail, stringer lengths and landing requirements. (Figures 28, 30, 33) Also refer to the paragraph "Stair requirements" on page 20.

Old 11-28-17, 11:46 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorry i was locked out of my account.

The stairs are going straight down to the patio.

Can you say it once again. You would make the landing larger and then it wouldn’t look odd?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: