Soccer Ball Proofing Screened Porch??

Old 11-29-17, 05:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Soccer Ball Proofing Screened Porch??

From soccer balls being kicked into our screened in porch the screen has been torn from the frame. I need to put a new screen and what I’m looking for suggestions on how the screen can’t stay stapled in and not Report from the wood battens. The screen does not tearit just is pulled out from the staples.

Attached Images  
Old 11-29-17, 05:35 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How far from the ground is it being affected?

Old 11-29-17, 06:13 AM
A
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
You really need a grille or lattice or some other rigid framework to protect the screen from the balls.

As a point of information, if the screen has slack to be able to billow a lot before it starts to tear from the frame or battens, it will take more force from a ball before it separates. When the ball hits a taut screen, the stresses around the edges where the screen is fastened (any method) are tremendous. You might also try cutting the screen a lot larger than needed and roll up the excess (all 4 sides) around thin wood strips and nail the strips to the frame.

If you combine the screen with juxtaposed soccer goal netting, the screen (as opposed to being taut) needs as much give as the netting to prevent separation from the frame.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-29-17 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-29-17, 12:28 PM
True

I have joked that I need to install steel bars like in a liquor store. I wonder if there is a semi inconspicuous way to add something stronger to the front of the screen? Making the screen less tight makes sense. On a commercial structure how are the screens sturdier? Thanks for the suggestions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: