Wrapping 6 x 6 posts with pressure treated 1x

Old 02-25-18, 07:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wrapping 6 x 6 posts with pressure treated 1x

I have some 6 x 6 posts on my deck I am thinking about wrapping in some cedar or AC2 CedarTone Premium Pressure Treated Board that I saw on Menard's website. The problem is I cannot find any feedback on the AC2 cedartone product. My local lumber company has tried to dis-sway me from using pressure treated pine. They said it would be prone to splitting during to install. I question this as well, but it would be by far the cheapest method.

So my 1st question: Is the AC2 CedarTone Premium Pressure Treated Board a good product?

2nd question: Would the pressure treated pine split excessively while installing?

Please do not suggest I use PVC or composite. It would not be cost effective and I live in a log home. Real wood purist!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-18, 07:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 723 Votes on 669 Posts
I would not dissuade you from using either cedar or AC2 Cedartone. Any wood can split, so its kiND of poinot less to worrk about that. There is a greater chance of the AC2 splitting because it is wet... once you nail it together, it can't shrink as it dries without splitting. If you nail only to the 6x6, and use overlapping butt joints, there would be less chance of splitting.

Rough cedar is probably the best product you could pick to use. It is usually already dry, looks good, soft, doesn't usually split when you nail it. Since you will need 1x8s, any wood you use may want to cup if/when the back side gets wet. The wider the board the greater tendency for cupping and splitting.

​​​​​

Old 02-25-18, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rough cedar, that is a great idea. Thank you! Just have to find a supplier near Nashville,TN.
Thanks again for your response.

Old 02-25-18, 12:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 723 Votes on 669 Posts
Well I know it's a 2 hr drive from there to Owensboro, but I know the Menards stores stock it.