Installing Hardwood Stairs - Purchase New Treads or Use Existing

Old 03-16-18, 01:28 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing Hardwood Stairs - Purchase New Treads or Use Existing

I am in the process of renovating my condo. I am removing all of the carpet and replacing it with hardwood flooring. I'm not entirely sure how to approach the stairs. I removed the carpet last night to see the condition. There is a lot of debris/dust, so it will take me a while to fully clean them. I'm trying to figure out the best option. I don't know if I'm missing anything, but here's what I'm considering:

1. Remove the old treads and replace them with new ones. Are the risers usable, or should I replace those as well?
2. Use retrofit treads that install over the old ones. I believe this requires removing the bullnose with a circular saw. My concern is that there is some type of code issue with the height change. I assume that this would also require me to install new risers.
3.Try to use the existing treads. There is paint on them, so I know this would need to be removed.

I've found some places online who say they can match new treads to my hardwood flooring. I like that it would save me the work of staining/sanding. I'm afraid of creating even more dust.

Can anyone give me some suggestions/advice? This is probably a stupid question, but are my existing stairs pine?

Attached Images   
Old 03-16-18, 01:39 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
it looks like pine!

New floors are what material?

If a different material then staining will take some adjustments since the wood is different, changing them out is a lot of work, cleaning them up will be a lot of work.

If me, I'd take one tread and see what I could do before going the replacement route!

Old 03-16-18, 01:49 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marq1
it looks like pine!

New floors are what material?

If a different material then staining will take some adjustments since the wood is different, changing them out is a lot of work, cleaning them up will be a lot of work.

If me, I'd take one tread and see what I could do before going the replacement route!
Thanks for your post. The new floors are hickory. The color is chocolate, so it's a darker wood.

Old 03-16-18, 02:13 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
While those pine treads/risers can be cleaned up and stained, replacing them would be easier and IMO look a little nicer. Pine doesn't always take dark stains well.

Old 03-16-18, 05:39 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Need to know if you have traditional stringers or if your stairs were ready built off site and installed as a unit. You may or may not be able to remove the treads. Are the sides of the treads recessed into the skirt board? Or can you see that they are stand alone pieces of wood that could be lifted out without issue?

Old 03-17-18, 04:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
What is under the staircase? if unfinished - post a pic. It does look like the skirt board was installed after the treads

Old 03-17-18, 06:54 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
I would suggest replacing the risers and treads with oak.

Remove the skirt board trim.
Remove the skirt board,
Remove the treads.
Remove the risers.

Stain the new risers and treads before installing.
Install the risers first, then the treads.

Old 03-17-18, 07:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Stain the new risers and treads before installing
Worth repeating! While the final coat of poly should always be applied after installation, staining and applying 2 coats of poly prior to installation is both easier/quicker and that way the stair case is only shut down for the drying of 1 coat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: