How to add WHEELS to Boat Lift (retractable if possible!)

Old 03-16-18, 06:18 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to add WHEELS to Boat Lift (retractable if possible!)

Hey all - I have an older 3000 lb capacity cantilever style boat lift from Naylor Systems (A canadian brand based out of Lindsay, ON).

This beast was already tough to move - but two years ago a canopy was added to it - and now even with four people, it is terrible.

I have seen some of the wheels that can be attached to lifts, but once this thing is in the water, I will not be able to mess with bolts etc under the water.

I was hoping for some kind of retractable wheels I could install (something akin to the 'third' wheel on a trailer that you winch up and down when needed).

That way I could winch the wheels down, move the lift into position, and then winch them back up allowing the built in feet to rest on the ground. And when taking it out, I could even hook it up to my truck to drag out at the end of the year.

Any thoughts or ideas? They are all greatly appreciated!

Picture included is of the actual lift - a bit far away - but shows enough of the structure around the legs to be relevant.

Attached Images  
Old 03-17-18, 05:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Is the wheel provide force to the lift in both directions? Does the lift go down under the force of gravity or can you force it down with the lift wheel? I'm wondering if you could attach wheels to the lifting part of the frame then use the wheel to lower the wheels and lift the entire frame. Then once it's in the water turn the wheel to lift the temporary wheels out of the water for removal.

Old 03-17-18, 06:46 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Show us the shore location where the lift will enter the water. Why not remove the wheels just before the lift is put in the water?

Old 03-17-18, 07:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
My family and friends have added many fixed dock wheels to boat lifts without any issues of the lift moving around on the wheels. Before going crazy with some type of retractable wheel system I would try it first with fixed wheels. Unless you have a very hard bottom the wheels will sink into the ground securing it in place.

If you do find the lift moves too much it would be easier to add spikes/anchors that drop down to secure the lift from moving.

Removing the wheels before putting the lift into the water would defeat the purpose of the wheels.

Old 03-17-18, 02:25 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Found this:

Smarte Jack Retractable Boat Lift Wheel System

It is the closest thing to what I was thinking!

Old 03-17-18, 07:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
I should also have mentioned that they would use 4 wheels, one at each corner.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: