Building Raised Deck on Solid Concrete Slab

Old 04-03-18, 02:14 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building Raised Deck on Solid Concrete Slab

Hello,

I have a concrete slab that is in good condition, I am wondering if it is advisable to build a raised deck above it. I have heard a lot of mixed advice on whether or not this is a good idea.

I live in Denver, CO. My sewer line goes under the concrete slab so I do not like the idea of digging 4 foot holes with the chance of hitting it.

Looking to build the deck up to the level of the top concrete pad that is existing and leave the top pad untouched. Keeping the concrete steps intact, but building a deck over them and wooden steps into the yard from the edge of the deck is my goal.

Any advice or pointers on how to setup the support posts is appreciated!

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-18, 06:05 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Your slab is not a sufficient footer for a deck, it is not designed to take the loads of a deck and is subject to frost heave and such. Code dictates that you need footers that go below the frost line. See if you can plan your deck to be slightly wider than the concrete pad so you can dig appropriate footers. The deck will most likely need a permit and inspections. So you would be stopped during the process anyway. Best to do it correct the first time.

Here are the deck codes to help you along the way.

http://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standar...Guide-1405.pdf