New Homeowner looking for advice on concrete driveway repair

Old 04-24-18, 08:22 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Homeowner looking for advice on concrete driveway repair

Hi All

I recently purchased my first home and the concrete driveway is in need of some repair. Unfortunately I canít afford to hire a professional right now to do the repairs so I am looking at doing the work myself.
I have never worked with concrete so I was wondering if anyone here wouldnít mind passing on some advice.
I uploaded some pictures of the problem areas I am looking to repair.

1. Where the driveway meets the garage slab the driveway has sunken and the garage concrete is starting to crumble away. I donít know how I should go about repairing this? Should I patch the concrete here with hydraulic cement , or am I better off cutting a portion of the driveway away and pouring a patch

2. At the front of the driveway the concrete is sunken and cracked. I plan to rent a jackhammer, remove everything and pour new concrete here. I am going to put stone down and rent a tamper as well before pouring the concrete. My question is since I am doing this in sections and cannot frame the whole pour in, how do I deal with where the new concrete meets the old section. Should I use those felt dividers I have seen before or am I better off renting a concrete saw and cutting a line after it sets

3. At the side of my garage the concrete is slanted towards the foundation. I plan to pull this all up and pour new concrete here with a grade away from my garage.

Thanks so much for any advice!
Cheers
Chris

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-18, 09:47 AM
Received 397 Votes on 371 Posts
The area at the garage and along the side of the house can be re-leveled, mud jacking as long as the concrete is in good shape it is a cheap alternative.

At the end of the drive, that is too far gone, needs to be replaced.

Concrete is difficult to patch, patching materials just dont bond an in a couple of years your back where you started.

Old 04-24-18, 02:39 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Marc Thanks so much for the reply!

I did not realize that Mud-Jacking was really cost effective. I will definitely look into that at the side of the house because the concrete there is in decent

What would you suggest doing where the driveway meets the garage concrete slab? I'm not sure how i should attack this. Should i just patch it with hydraulic cement; cut out a portion of the driveway and pour a new cement patch; or try to get the whole section mud-jacked to meet the garage concrete?

Thanks again for the help!
Chris