Patio Steps with Pressure Treated Timber Risers?

Old 05-17-18, 08:53 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patio Steps with Pressure Treated Timber Risers?

Hey, I've got kind of a PT Timber yard with retaining walls and decking and I have a square stone patio with stone steps that have crumbling brick risers. I don‘t really need to change the design or anything and most of the stone is still good but was interested in replacing the risers with 4x4 ground contact timbers and stain them the same as the deck the problem is I haven't seen this done before and am wondering if there are any issues with this? Usually you see a timber step with gravel fill or more framing the stone on 3 sides but I'm looking to just use the timber as more of the riser face and just pound 16inch or 24inch rebar through it into the ground to secure it, and then the stone goes on top. Will this not work?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-18, 09:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
What do you currently have for risers?

Old 05-17-18, 10:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 683 Votes on 630 Posts
If the tops of your steps are loose stone or big loose slabs of stone then it would probably work. If the stair tops are mortared together then it likely will not work as the 4x4 will swell and shrink with changing moisture levels.

Old 05-17-18, 02:39 PM
W
Currently there are old bricks in there but they are all falling apart and loose at this point and I don't like the look. The tops of the steps are made up of two square stones. The total width is about 48". It looks like at one point there was some mortar used between the stones but everything is loose now. Was thinking I could clean it all out and just repack gravel down level with the timber and put the stones back on top. I've attached a pic. Hadn't done spring cleanup yet, sorry about the mess

Attached Images  
Old 05-17-18, 06:37 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 683 Votes on 630 Posts
You can pull up the stone pavers and redo the risers with treated timbers but I think you'll have trouble with frost heave.

Old 05-17-18, 08:18 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Well you can certainly do what you propose, but you seem to have more issues other than the fact that it looks bad. Looks like movement or settling has caused things to shift. The brick risers would be the most stable but would need to determine why everything shifted in the first place.

Old 05-17-18, 08:37 PM
W
A giant tree fell on the steps last fall and kind of busted everything up. That's why everything is a mess. One of the stones broke as well. Is this bluestone or flagstone? So if I pull the stones up and put down the timbers what would be the best process to mitigate heave?