Repairing deck support posts and concrete

Old 05-26-18, 05:13 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing deck support posts and concrete

First post for me.

I had a deck built seven years ago. The deck beams are sitting on top of 4x4 posts, connected with a wood cleat.
the contractor dug 4' deep holes placed the post in the hole, poured a concrete footing around the post - footing is about 1' thick. Then he placed a sono tube and filled the tube with concrete around the post and top of the footing. Everything was set level and allowed to dry...

fast forward seven years.....I have found that the top 1' of concrete sono tube is breaking away from the 4x4 post- I think sono tubes were too small and posts were not centered in the tubes.

I completely removed two posts after digging around the concrete pier, used a car jack to lift the post and concrete ball/footing out of the ground.
i then poured a new sono tube and after it was dry set a new section of post and post base on top of pier.
this was A LOT of work lol.

for the other posts, instead of jacking the whole post out, after digging around the broken sono can I smash away the concrete surrounding the post right down to the footing, place a new sono around the post and pour? Or, should I continue with removing everything?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-18, 05:21 AM
F
recommended depth around here for frost is 48"
the original posts were set to 4' - the concrete footing with post embedded.
the actual sono tube that was squished into the top of the footing had a depth of around 33" to 36"......
so total below grade depth is 48" and then 6" or so of concrete above ground.

my concern is if I simply pour a new sono tube it will only be around 3' below grade....however, the concreate footing makes up the remainder. The original footing was not poured into a sono, it was literally post in ground, a few bags of concrete to fill the bottom 1' and then sonotube on top.
never had an issue with frost grab, only the concrete breaking away at the top

Old 05-29-18, 12:06 PM
where are you located? Northeast? I say this because of the 48" rule. As far as I know here you cant embed your posts in the concrete anymore. This might be why your concrete is breaking away. You should be using steel post brackets at the bottom of your beams.

Someone may correct me if Im wrong though.

Old 05-30-18, 08:07 AM
F
I am in southwestern Ontario, Canada..
I was looking at the building code and from what I can tell they still allow posts in ground (ground contact rated), posts in ground encased in concrete and of course, posts above ground using a post base on top of concrete pier.

mine were done post in ground - embedded in a 1' thick concrete footing that fills the bottom of the hole. Sono tube over top and filled with concrete.

the problem is that the sonotube were too small and not center around the post. This promotes breaking away the top foot or so of concrete from around the post....

with the concrete removed moved from around the post, the post is still very solid in its concrete footing in the ground