Adding a layer of Concrete to front steps

Old 05-28-18, 09:14 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding a layer of Concrete to front steps

We have slate tiles on our front stairs and they have started to detach. To fully resolve this we are considering removing the tiles and adding a coat of perhaps 1/8 to 1/4 inch of concrete. I am not sure whether or not this is entirely necessary though it would be reassuring to know that everything had been sealed tight so that water would not enter any of entry points for water.

What I am not sure about is how to add such a thin layer of concrete. Adding in a full concrete step would require the wooden forms. Though I am not sure whether the same procedure would be needed for only a surface coating. The only part of the stair that might have issues with water would be at the back part of the
existing concrete. The minimal job would be to simply add concrete at these back portions of the step.

Old 05-28-18, 09:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
You will need to use a concrete resurfacer intended for applying in a thin layer.

Old 05-28-18, 09:37 AM
S
Thank you Pilot Dane! I had never heard of concrete surfacers before.

What is the basic setup? Is there a need for forms or could I somehow just apply to the surface?
I have about 42 square feet that I want to do; probably want to add about 1-8 - 1/4 inch concrete.
Looks like about 2 bags of 40 pound cement.

Might there be an even better option than concrete for this?

Old 05-28-18, 09:56 AM
S
This is awesome!

My searches online found that these concrete resurfacers do not appear to need an elaborate install procedure.
Simply squeegee it on. The examples that I saw was for a driveway, though from what I can see the same plan should also work on stairs. They did not even bother with a leveler! I had thought that perhaps something would need to go on top of the resurfacer, however it appears that the resurfacer is sufficient.

Old 05-28-18, 11:14 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Well, it's likely a temp repair, concrete does not bond will with old concrete.

About the only product I have heard that works is Tammspatch, if anything will hold up it's this!

https://www.euclidchemical.com/files...mspatch_II.pdf

Old 05-28-18, 11:36 AM
S
Thank you Marq1!
The one thing that I am somewhat confused about is whether a resurfacer is even needed.
The slate tiles were put on top of the concrete, so if I remove the tiles the concrete surface should
actually be in great shape. I had thought that a resurfacing might be needed to keep the strair height
within the bylaws, though perhaps resurfacing is not needed at all.

What would most people do if they were to remove tiles with a concrete base?

Old 06-14-18, 09:18 PM
S
Are there any other options that besides concrete that I could use to replace the tiles?
Stone can become expensive. Does the stone only have 2 inch thickness. I am not sure
why it needs to be this thick. This would throw off my stepping pattern.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: