Looking for advice on building a ground level deck OR stone paver patio

Old 05-28-18, 06:14 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Looking for advice on building a ground level deck OR stone paver patio

Hello - Basically looking for some insight into which direction to go with my summer project. My ground level deck is completely rotted out and needs to be replaced.

I would PREFER to go with a stone paver patio, I traced in yellow a basic idea of the layout I'm considering. It would be roughly 450-500 sq ft. I'm just a little confused how I would slope it away from from the house, would I just stay with the natural direction of the yard from the highest point at the foundation?

My second question is what is that box attached to my outside wall and what kind of issues is that going to create with digging and compacting? I have electrical running to my shed so I'm assuming it's that.

Second option is to just replace the deck in the same footprint its in with any improvements I can make. I'm not so much worried about cost difference, more the time investment and technical difficulty so I guess I'm just looking for any advice. Completely open to suggestions.

Attached Images   
Old 05-29-18, 02:01 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
You are seeing the results of a wood structure sitting on the ground, your choice of a paver patio would be much better selection.

It appears that your yard slopes away from the house doesn't need a lot 1/8" per ft.

No idea on the box, you have the eyes on it so let us know!

Old 05-29-18, 02:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree 100% on not going back with wood! A close up of that box might help us ID it.

Old 05-29-18, 05:08 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
Count me as another vote for a paver patio.

You photo doesn't clearly show what that box is. Why haven't you looked at it to see what it is for?

Sloping the patio away from your house will be a critical step. If you have the elevation I prefer to go to 1/4"-1/2" per foot slope. Many pavers have divots and odd shapes and the steeper slopes helps them drain better without puddling. Most people won't notice 1/2" per foot but technically minded people will be able to tell.

Simplest to layout and build is a simple slope where the patio slopes in one flat plane in one direction directly away perpendicular to the house. But, you don't have to slope in only one direction though it is more complex to layout and build. In your case if you simply slope away from the house water may get trapped above the fire pit if you don't also grade the yard to handle the water.

As for building a paver patio rule number one is to not skimp on the preparation. Follow every recommended step when preparing the base. 75% or more of the work will be in preparing the base and laying the pavers is the easy part.

Also, be prepared to think about things in tons. You will be excavating dirt by the ton. You will be bringing in crushed stone by the ton. Your pavers will weigh tons. It's great exercise an no it won't kill you but most people are not mentally prepared for that level of physical work. Machinery is not required but it will greatly speed the project and make it much easier on your back.

Old 05-29-18, 12:09 PM
S
Thanks a lot for the detailed replies. I think I’m going to commit to the patio. That being said what what would be good start and stop points? As I mentioned I’ll be working as I have a day or 2 here and there.

Im assuming I can excavate at my leisure but the sand and pavers have to be done in one shot to avoid rain. How about the base gravel? Is it ok to leave the compacted gravel exposed for up to a few weeks?

Old 05-29-18, 01:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The gravel shouldn't be affected much by rain .... and if it is, it isn't a big deal to relevel the gravel.

Old 05-29-18, 02:47 PM
E
????? Box Unclear

Post a clear pic of box so that we could look over it.

Old 05-29-18, 03:28 PM
Received 23 Upvotes on 20 Posts
I removed my 'almost ground level' deck and installed large irregular flagstones. You may not like the rough surfaces on them, and they are a beast to move around and position, but I like it. No more dealing with a rotting deck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: