PT Pine vs Choicedek vs Trex Select for rehabbing deck.

Old 05-28-18, 06:23 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
PT Pine vs Choicedek vs Trex Select for rehabbing deck.

I have a nearly 10 year old deck that is built from treated lumber with 5/4" treated pine decking. That was then all stained with "One Time" Red Cedar penetrating stain. Tip: It's junk and don't use it! I have had boards that have rotted and been replaced and I'm at a point where I'm piece-meal replacing a few of the boards every year or two. This year I noticed some of the framing joists were rotting too so I sistered them and am going back and capping them with a layer of Vycor tape to help protect from water. But now I'm trying to decide if I want to just scrap all of the wood decking and lay a synthetic....

I'm particularly looking at ChoiceDek, a product exclusive to Lowes. I'd be going with their red color (which probably won't very closely match the rails, stairs, and framing). I am open to other options, but price is definitely an issue. ChoiceDek runs about $50 per 20' section. The "foundations" line, which I'm looking at, is not a capstock type product. The other one I'm looking at is Trex Select in Madeira color. It is a much closer match to the stain of the rails and is a capstock material. I'm having trouble finding much on either of these products- just older Trex and other synthetic materials. Any user experiences with either would be appreciated.
I'm also really over restaining every couple of years. If I keep the wood I'd really like to strip enough of the stain (apparently there are kits/products sold that say they can do it) to restain with a new product that is cheaper (One Time is ~ $80/gallon!).

So, advise me. I see three options....

-Keep the same staining product and just pay out the wazoo for expensive stain.

-Strip the stain and go with a new stain product, but likely still keep replacing boards over time...

-Replace with a synthetic (Like ChoiceDek, Trex Select, or.......) and hope I don't have mildew problems.

I do worry that options one and two have me replacing boards and ultimately compromising the Vycor tape (and thus the joists). I will say that the treated lumber I've use is crap. After just a few (5-7) years, many of the deck boards are completely rotten and unsafe. Stain or no stain, this is unacceptable.

FWIW I am in Louisville, Kentucky and the deck is on the NW side of the house and gets lots of afternoon sun.

Old 05-29-18, 02:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
10 yrs isn't very long for PT decking to last. I've seen it last longer than that when it was never stained. Composite decking does cut down on a lot of maintenance but you still need to clean them as needed [mildew]

Old 05-30-18, 05:37 AM
S
Agreed. But I had joists that completed rotted out in that time. Let alone the 5/4" decking.

Old 06-01-18, 10:43 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
I just finished, this past weekend, a 12' x 16' free-standing deck for the wife behind the house. We have had a deck attached to the house for about eleven years. It has been added on to twice and was all done with Veranda (or similar) composite material. For this newest project - the first one that I've done myself - we went with Trex Transcends. Yep - the stuff is ungodly expensive; over $60 each for 16' sections. So it cost us just under $2000 for this small deck. I used the Trex hidden fasteners on the main decking boards (Havana Gold) color) and Fastenmaster's Cortex for the picture frame trim in Spiced Rum. It turned out great.

Personally, I wouldn't even think of using anything but composite. I pressure wash once or twice a year (we are in N Florida, so lots of mildew). But no staining, no sealing, and NO SPLINTERS!

Old 06-01-18, 10:58 AM
S
Upvotes: 0

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: