Pipe around the house

Old 05-30-18, 07:09 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pipe around the house

Hi,
I am having pavers put in. When they dug, we found a pipe (picture attached). around the house. The guys who are building the pavers say the pipe is not connected to anything and they just tossed it away. I am not sure why the pipe is put in if it is has no purpose. I am hoping some of you might have encountered something similar and can advice. Thank you.

Attached Images  
Old 05-30-18, 07:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Pipe is not buried for the fun of it. There is a purpose for it. Perforated pipe like that is often used as a perimeter drain for the foundation. It's also used to make a French drain to help solve a drainage problem.

Old 05-30-18, 07:57 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
It presumably collected rain water from near the foundation and carried it away to another location away from the home. There could very well have been issues with the basement flooding. I would have them put it back how it was, or add top soil around the foundation sloped away from the home.

Old 05-30-18, 08:53 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Forgive me if I sound too naive. This was found right next to the foundation. Since they are putting the pavers, they already dug about 6 inches of soil. Even though there will be pavers now (instead of soil), having this drain is still important. So, I should have them dig a deeper tunnel next to foundation and put it back in there so it will go under the pavers. Am I understanding this correctly? Thanks

Old 05-30-18, 09:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I'm thinking you need someone else to do the work. If your patio installation people just dug it up and threw it aside they are probably not of the mind to properly re-install it. There are numerous books and websites that discuss how to properly install foundation or perimeter drainage that can help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: