Porch Beadboard ceiling

Old 06-03-18, 10:24 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Porch Beadboard ceiling

I am looking to install a bead board ceiling on my porch. There was a simple vinyl T&G covering nailed to an old bead board ceiling in place. The condition of the old beadboard looks pretty cracked and worn very possible original to the house that is nearly 93 years old. Wondering if it would be a mistake to install new bb over this so long as it is level, or would the nails pull out from this old wood?
As far as sealant and stain, is there a type and method that is proper for longevity? I’ve read various things on the forum with respect to sealing both sides then staining with interior vs exterior types. I haven’t decided on exact species but it will not be plywood. I plan to acclimate the wood for a couple weeks then make cuts.
Thanks

Old 06-04-18, 12:48 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
IMO I try to get back to the base structure vs adding layers. If the original held up that long then it's pretty good sign the replacement will do just as well.

But you have the eyes on the situation, how big and how much effort will it take to remove?

Old 06-04-18, 02:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Since it's on the ceiling you don't have to worry about using exterior grade stains/polys. I like to stain and apply 2 coats of poly prior to installation as it's easier/quicker to do it on saw horses. The final coat of poly would be applied after the wood is nailed up. Always sand lightly between coats of poly. IMO since the wood is kiln dried and going on an exterior ceiling there is no need to acclimate it.

Old 06-11-18, 04:43 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for those replies. The old wood is indeed quite sturdy. The stucco was built around the porch ceiling, so the are set in about 3/4 in all around. To take it down means cutting them all in half then tearing out, and wedging the new ones in above the stucco lip and trying to get t&g to fit. I think it can be done and would be a secure ceiling, but a lot of additional labor. Doesn’t look termite eaten or moldy. I tore down two runs to look above and it’s dry. It’s not exactly flush, but some long wood screws into the rafters flatens everything snug. If I keep it, maybe I’ll spray it with concrobium in case. If I leave the old beadboard up, how long of a nail would you use to get through the tongue and into the rafters?
I planned to use the 8ft select pine beadboard from Lowe’s. The porch is 7 ft wide, so works out well. Agree it won’t have to acclimate. Thanks for the stain tips. The transparent/semisolid exterior stain has sealant in it, so thought I’d do two coats both sides, then add two coats of poly once up, if that sounds logical.

Last edited by sjhrva; 06-11-18 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Add activity

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: