Leak in Front of Porch

Old 06-19-18, 08:15 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leak in Front of Porch

Hi,

I hope someone can give me some guidance. My back porch is leaking quite badly. The roof appears to be made of metal, with wood placed on top (presumably so that it won’t get too hot).

I’ve included pictures of what the porch looks like from the inside, and what it looks like from the outside. The major leaks are in between the 2 pieces of blue tape – during heavy rain, I have to place receptacles there to catch the rain. The green tape is where the ceiling is wet, but water does not seem to fall down. The leaking is toward the front end of the porch, away from the house. At the point where the porch attaches to the house, it is completely dry, with no leaking.

In addition, along the sides, in the front part of the porch, water seems to come in through the screens. I tried bending up one of the eaves to deflect the water away from the screen, but that didn’t seem to work.

I imagine that the wood that is sitting on top of the metal roof has to be removed to get to the leak. Then what? I don’t want to replace the whole porch roof. . .

Attached Images     
Old 06-19-18, 08:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
My first guess is that the wood on top of the porch roof has allowed debris to collect underneath forming a dam. When it rains water dams up and works up around the joints in the metal ceiling. Without the wood on top most gunk on the roof would naturally wash away with heavy rain.

Old 06-19-18, 09:18 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for such a quick response. That actually makes a lot of sense. The house was vacant for some time and there were all these overgrown vines covering the porch. I just looked through old pictures that I forgot that I even had. This picture was taken after the vines were removed, but I now see that it seems that the vines may have come through the ceiling. Could that have broken the joints of the metal roof? Could that be repaired or re-sealed somehow? I take it all the wood should just be removed and replaced? Someone suggested to me that there is some kind of roof paint that can be painted on the metal that would seal it. Would that work?

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: