Deck over peeling 8 months after application

Old 06-26-18, 09:54 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Deck over peeling 8 months after application

i purchased 10 gallons of Behr deckover and hired handyman to apply. He actuallly recommended the product. Deck is constructed of wood deck boards and is 17 years old, and has been re-stained 3 times prior. Each time I power washed and applied semitransparent stain myself. Never had any issues with peeling. Deckover was applied last September after power washed, and is peeling all over. Started noticing a few spots but it is becoming widespread. I called handyman to look at deck, he came a week ago but hasn’t called me since.

Has as anyone has a similar experience with deckover? Should I expect handyman to power wash/sand and re-apply product? I will try and get manufacture to send new supply of material but I don’t want to pay to have it done again. Wondering if deck wasn’t thoroughly dried before material was applied.

Old 06-26-18, 10:45 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but that product has all kinds of stories like this out there.

You're probably going to have to replace the wood now.

Old 06-27-18, 01:57 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Do a little googling on those deck products, they promise a lot more than they deliver!

And, especially search on this site for Behr products, you will not be impressed!

Old 06-27-18, 02:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
How long and what type of drying conditions were there after it was pressure washed and before it was painted?

While I've never used that or similar coatings on a deck I know enough about painting to realize that type of coating is a disaster waiting to happen. Unless none of it bonded well to the wood I'd suspect getting the decking in decent enough shape to apply a solid deck stain to be a real chore! I wouldn't recommend using that type of coating again.

Old 06-27-18, 06:01 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I so agree.
I refuse to use it and so far just this year I've been paid to install all new decking because someone had used it.
Everyone one of them should have been replaced anyway instead of coating because they were in such bad shape..

Old 06-27-18, 10:31 AM
D
Other than a few cracked or warped boards, the decking is in pretty good shape. Nothing is rotted, just weathered and some cracks

The contractor finished power washing and first coat in same day. He started around 8 and finished at 3:30. I believe once he finished power washing he started applying product where he power washed first, but I don’t know how long in between. Maybe 2 hours? He applied second coat next day, as he said should be 6 hours in between.

My opinion is there wasn’t enough drying time between power wash and first coat. The entire coating is peeling up, seems like second coat adhered to first coat fine.

Old 06-27-18, 12:49 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
You aren't listening - it's the product, not your contractor.

Old 06-27-18, 01:44 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
The contractor finished power washing and first coat in same day

So a wet board was painted the same day and were surprised that the paint is peeling!

There is noting more that needs to be discussed!

Old 06-28-18, 01:56 PM
D
stickshift - Sounds like Its a combination of product and contractor. Not sure why he recommended this product if it has widely know faults. and not letting the deck surface completely dry before first coat is contractor, not product.

Old 06-28-18, 06:19 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I would never power wash and re-coat ANY finish in the same day. You need several days of clear dry weather before considering re-coating. Also, if he re-coated in direct sunlight, that may have caused the product to dry too fast to adhere. Each scenario builds upon itself.

Old 06-30-18, 03:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
There have been a few times I felt comfortable PWing one day and staining the next but usually wait a few days and never ever stain on the same day. How long to wait depends on the weather along with the deck's exposure. How porous the wood is also plays a part. Old weathered wood may appear to dry quicker but actually takes longer to dry than new tight grained wood.

It's possible the contractor bought into the sales hype but he should have never attempted to apply a coating the same days as washing the deck. Did you check his references first?

Old 06-30-18, 06:12 AM
D
He’s a local handyman, and seemed like he had good reviews. Time is money, lesson learned. He actually wanted to do a bunch of other repairs and I held off because I was a little skeptical. He last stated he may come by this afternoon to sand and re-coat the deck. I guess that will be only areas that are peeling. Sounds like this was a disaster. Going to be in high 90s this weekend too...

Old 07-04-18, 05:24 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Please for the love of God do not allow him to use that stuff again. As others have already mentioned it's a nightmare product. It WILL peel regardless of prep and regardless of how good your handyman thinks he is. I'm currently replacing all of the deck rails and boards on 3 large decks because the last owner used it. The good news is that you just used it so your wood is salvageable provided you sand every trace of that garbage off. It was too late for me.

Besides peeling like crazy that junk has the additional unadvertised benefit of trapping moisture and preventing wood from breathing so you get to enjoy soft mushy rotting wood years earlier than normal. Yay right? I'm assuming he lathered that goop all over your rails and pickets too? Ugh you have a lot of work ahead of you, I feel your pain. I'd be extremely tempted if I were you to just knock the pickets out and put new ones in rather than tediously sanding them all individually.
If this forum allowed me to directly upload an image to this post I'd show you some good peeling and rotting Behr deck over photos. That goes for Rust-Oleum Restore It and that deck over sludge Olympic sells too just so you know. And all 3 of them are being sued class action in the USA.

I could go on but I'm sure you get the picture. That stuff has caused me to lose every single beautiful summer day off work I've had this year for 4 weeks, and I still probably have 4 more to go.

Old 07-09-18, 04:27 PM
E
I had a small deck off my house that was unpainted. I added a small extension to it and painted the old deck and the new extension with Behr deck over. The new extension has held the paint perfectly, but the old deck peels within 5 months. I've had to repaint it 3 times already. I think it can't handle wood that has any moisture in it.

Old 07-10-18, 03:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Moisture underneath a coating will almost always make it fail. New wood has a tighter grain than old weathered wood. This means it will take old wood longer to dry after being washed [or rained on] even though it might appear to be dry quicker than the tightly grained new wood. It's also likely the old wood is absorbing moisture from the edges or even from underneath.

How much trouble have you had removing the failed deck over so the next coat doesn't look bad?

Old 07-10-18, 07:39 AM
D
Contractor didn't re apply yet, too hot 2 weekends ago and last week he was away. Not sure what he will do, sounded like he wanted to spot sand where it's peeling and re-apply. Behr sent me like 8 gallons of deckover plus wood cleaner free of charge. Not sure what to do, but I will give contractor a chance to fix it.

Old 07-12-18, 12:00 PM
C
Good luck. If you're going to agree to letting him use that product you'll need it.

Old 07-17-18, 07:35 AM
E
@marksr: the deck over peels so badly on the older wood that I just need to lightly brush it with a wire brush to get it a off before repainting again, but 3 times is enough for me. I'm giving up on the product and going to try something else.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: