Replacing wood surface with composite (need picture frame?)

Old 07-24-18, 10:41 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing wood surface with composite (need picture frame?)

Hello,
Our house's deck did have wood boards, and my plan is to simply replace the wood boards with composite boards.
My joists were 24" OC so I added a new joists between each row to bring it down to 12" OC.
The joists are running parallel to the house, so I would run the new boards perpendicular as the wood ones were before.

A family friend noted that this is not how I should proceed.
"Running the boards the way you are is definitively not ideal, and truly no professional installer would recommend doing it that way" (I don't see how I have a choice without re-framing)

"Rules of thumb 1) come off the door with a full edge of the board tucked under 2) have a horizontal board hanging over the stairs"

"with a picture frame you can check off those two rules. Also a picture frame will increase the valuation."

I personally just want to run the boards how I am currently planning to, I know there will be unfinished ends.
But if more people agree with him and add some extra input, I still have the opportunity to change gears.

Attached Images  
Old 07-24-18, 11:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Well, he is entitled to his opinion, but it's just that... an opinion.

The one point he mentions that has merit... if your deck composite is hollow, you would need to cap the ends with your riser... usually a fascia is used there if needed, and its not at all unusual. And the orientation of step treads would obviously have to be 90 degrees to the decking.

Old 07-24-18, 11:27 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Well, that is exactly how I built my deck.

Around the perimeter I have a fascia board that is 3/4" taller than the joists so it covers up the ends, and edges.

Old 07-24-18, 11:53 AM
S
if your deck composite is hollow, you would need to cap the ends with your riser... usually a fascia is used there if needed
Around the perimeter I have a fascia board that is 3/4" taller than the joists so it covers up the ends, and edges.
The boards are solid.
I was thinking about the fascia covering all of the board ends, but then I would have a fascia edge to look at? Wouldn't the boards hanging over the fascia be more appealing?

Old 07-24-18, 11:58 AM
S
I would have a fascia edge to look at? Wouldn't the boards hanging over the fascia be more appealing?
Looking at pictures, you can have a finished fascia edge, so butting the boards up to the fascia would probably be better.

Old 07-25-18, 08:07 AM
J
You did not mention what the manufacture of the deck boards are, Trex? Looks like Trex Winchester Grey And if you are now 12" OC you could picture frame it with square deck boards with a 1 inch over hang and do 45 degree layout with the grooved ones.

Attached Images    

Last edited by jpmd1202; 07-25-18 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-25-18, 11:22 AM
but then I would have a fascia edge to look at?
The fascia board is finished on 3 (maybe 4) sides so it's a finished look, I'll post a picture tonight!

Old 07-25-18, 04:54 PM
This is what the fascia boards look like.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...1&d=1532562859

Attached Images  
Old 07-30-18, 01:53 PM
C
I'm not sure how far along you are at this point but are you entirely replacing your deck boards and rails with composite? If so I'd urge you to consider a stone patio instead. Done right stone blows composite away and judging by the photo you posted your grading is suitable for it. I'm 50 years old and I'd likely be dead before I'd have to do anything to look after a stone patio. Wish my current house had one, next purchase it'll be a must.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: