Paver stone step

Old 08-15-18, 11:41 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Paver stone step

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, and also new to the whole DIY game. My question/situation should be fairly simple, but with my lack of experience, I need guidance. We had a contractor build a stone pavers walkway leading up to the front porch stoop of our home some years ago, but decided to just keep the old concrete step (you know, the "cheap" $60 ones from big box stores). Well, its time has come as weather and salt have eaten away at it and I now want to replace it with a simple 14" tall ~50" wide and ~15" deep step made from concrete pavers (rumblestone from Home depot). I'm planning on building this on top of the paver walkway which is fairly level and quite stable. What I'm looking for is criticism/validation of my noob idea: make an outside "wall" from the paver stone, secure the stone to the existing walkway with adhesive, fill the middle with paver base and leveling sand and lay the top layer of paver stone on top of the sand and stone "wall" (see attached image/sketch). The other option would be to use more paver stone instead of the base/level sand combination which I'm assuming would add more stability and less maintenance over time. I'm not looking for the cheaper option really, just want to get some feedback.

Cheers!

Attached Images  
Old 08-15-18, 12:00 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Either option is valid, building up the frame and filling with compacted material will save some stones or building the entire structure out of the stones.

The only comment, pavers are not intended to be stacked unlike dimensional wall stone.

I dont know what material is being used but building the step with the larger and heavier wall stone then capping with paver might be a better solution

Old 08-15-18, 12:29 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, I sort of thought about that, and the base/sides will be made up of thicker paver stone. Thanks for the advice!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: