Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Decks, Patios, Porches, Walkways, Driveways, Stairs, Steps and Docks
Reload this Page >

Need some advice for fixing awning supports and putting in a concrete deck.

Old 08-27-18, 01:59 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

So this last weekend we finally tore out our back wood deck that was deteriorating rapidly due to being constructed really poorly (not weather sealed, boards not offset, just mounted on 4x4's dug into the ground, blocking foundation ventilation, no house buffer).

Anyway after taking everything out and cleaning the area up this is what we found.

As you can tell, they just buried the supports in the ground and built the deck over an existing concrete pad.

Based on this I have a couple of questions:

1. What's going to be the best way of correcting the support snafu? A couple people I've spoken to have mentioned jacking up the roof, but I wasn't sure what we would need to do after that. Also I would want something that looks relatively nice.

2. I am assuming I need to fix the supports before doing any more concrete deck work?

3. You can't pour concrete over an existing concrete pad, correct? Preferably we would want the deck height to be a little taller, but it looks like we may not have a choice.

I appreciate any comments or suggestions!

Old 08-27-18, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
First, those posts will need proper concrete footings installed past the frost line in your area. These footings should come up above the future concrete pad you will be pouring. These two concrete items should be kept separate as the pad will move while the footing should not.

The posts will then sit on a spacer the separates the wood from the concrete. Concrete holds moisture and will make the wood rot faster.

You could pour concrete over the existing sidewalk, but I would not recommend it. The concrete will move differently then the dirt and will encourage cracking in the slab in locations it shouldn't. IMO you are better off removing the old slab(s) and bringing in base material the bring it up to the level you want. You should also be aware that you do not want the slab too close to any wood or siding for the same moisture issue mentioned before.

Old 08-27-18, 06:05 PM
P
So would you recommend jacking up the roof and just replacing the current posts with ones in different locations? Also, What size of Concrete form tubes would you recommend for 4x4 posts? Would 6 inch work or would 8 inch be better?

Old 09-17-18, 04:42 PM
P
Just wanted to bump this as I am taking a closer look at trying do this myself, considering the contractor is quoting $900 for them to take care of it.

With that said I wanted to ask a couple questions about the best way of doing this:

- Would would a six inch forming tube be sufficient for the footings or would you recommend eight?
- Would 24 inches be deep enough for the support footing? I live around Portland, OR, so it usually doesn't get too cold here.
- In terms of propping up the roof, would just utilizing two four ton bottle jacks from Home Depot be sufficient? Would I need to build a support structure or will the jacks lock in place?

One thing to add is that we are going to have the contractor do the concrete deck, so I wasn't sure how much that would affect the decision to use the contractor vs doing it myself.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 09-17-18, 05:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Download the dca6 deck guide and look at the page for footing sizes. You are describing a pier, and a pier is not a footing. The footing is much larger and is what the pier sits on. Piers should likely be 12". Footing size is much larger, because it is the "foot" that distributes the weight. Footing depth is based not only on frost depth but also on whether or not it is in undisturbed soil. Jacks can work as long as the jack doesn't flip or the boards don't spring out. But it's always wise to use the jack to raise, then build support solidly to the ground, sitting on a mud sill and then secure those strongback boards diagonally to stakes so that they cannot move.

btw, dunno what that $900 includes but it sounds like a bargain.

Old 09-18-18, 12:53 PM
P
So the $900 includes everything that will go into replacing the three awning support posts correctly putting them on concrete vs just buried into the ground.

In terms of piers vs footings....these three posts are only supporting a 20x7 lean-to deck roof. Should I do some building code research to see what's required?

Old 09-18-18, 04:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Well, that's why I mentioned the dca6. The illustrations there are based on code.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: