Opinions on deck condition

Old 09-17-18, 07:53 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Opinions on deck condition

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to make my deck nice again and would like some opinions on what I'm seeing.

First, the rail posts are rotted at the base where they enter the concrete. I was thinking I would pull them out, concrete and all, then replace them using a pre-made pier block. Yay or nay?

Second, my deck boards aren't rotting, but they are showing some weathering. Can these be refinished?

Name:  Post.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  95.8 KB

Name:  Boards.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  94.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-18-18 at 05:23 PM. Reason: removed duplicate pics
Old 09-18-18, 03:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'm not fond of those pier blocks although they might be ok if your climate is mild enough. It's best if the deck footer goes down to the frost line. I also don't like to embed the posts in concrete which is why your posts rotted out. It's better to pour concrete and insert a post bracket.

I'd clean up the decking and apply another coat of solid deck stain.

Old 09-18-18, 04:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Personally I find removing deck boards in good, re-usable condition to be difficult and time consuming. In my case not worth the savings of buying new lumber. Add to that that your posts are also rotten and I'd be seriously looking at rebuilding the entire deck. With the deck out of the way construction of the new deck can move more easily and quickly and you'll have a new deck. If you try your approach of pre-cast piers and saving deck boards you'll be investing a lot of labor and still have an old deck.

Old 09-18-18, 02:54 PM
G
Originally Posted by marksr
I'm not fond of those pier blocks although they might be ok if your climate is mild enough. It's best if the deck footer goes down to the frost line. I also don't like to embed the posts in concrete which is why your posts rotted out. It's better to pour concrete and insert a post bracket.

I'd clean up the decking and apply another coat of solid deck stain.
The pier block simplifies things for me. Why do you dislike them?
How would you suggest cleaning the boards?

Old 09-18-18, 02:57 PM
G
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane
Personally I find removing deck boards in good, re-usable condition to be difficult and time consuming. In my case not worth the savings of buying new lumber. Add to that that your posts are also rotten and I'd be seriously looking at rebuilding the entire deck. With the deck out of the way construction of the new deck can move more easily and quickly and you'll have a new deck. If you try your approach of pre-cast piers and saving deck boards you'll be investing a lot of labor and still have an old deck.
Your first 2 sentences are confusing me.
The cost of replacing everything is way out of my budget. Cheap labor I got (me). Money? That's a different story.

Old 09-18-18, 03:57 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
He.s stating, if the boards are in decent shape, the amount of time and risk of damaging during removal probably are not cost effective.

I would agree, not a lot of anything you are going to salvage from that deck, it's life time has come and gone!

Old 09-19-18, 02:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The pier block simplifies things for me. Why do you dislike them?
How would you suggest cleaning the boards?
The deck's footer needs to go down to the frost line. Pier blocks typically just set on top of the ground which gives no frost heave protection and/or protection from high winds.

I generally wash the deck - wet the wood, spray on a bleach solution with a pump up garden sprayer, let set but not dry then rinse with a pressure washer. A garden hose can be substituted for the pressure washer. Cleaning often removes most of the peeling stain but you might still need to do a little scraping.

Old 09-19-18, 04:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Yes, deck boards can be quite difficult to remove especially without damaging them. Usually galvanized or ring shank nails are used so they don't come out easily and in your case at least some are screws. So, now you need to try and back out all those screws who's heads with paint in the Phillips making it even more difficult. It can be done but only when labor is free. If you've got the time but not the money. Knock yourself out. Just don't expect to strip all the deck boards off in a few hours. After that work you will still have old deck boards that are deeply cracked and have paint peeling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: