Questions for pool deck paint removal

Old 09-20-18, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Questions for pool deck paint removal

Hey everyone I just have a few questions for what to do around my pool deck. The concrete around it was painted by the previous owners awhile back. When we purchased the house I put down another layer of paint just to fix it up (after power washing it and getting up the spots that were pealing and unsightly).

This worked for a little bit but now I'm trying to figure out how to remove both layers of paint because some of the previous spots never covered correctly (you can see the area's that the paint came up from the previous coat if that makes sense).

Would I be better hiring a contractor to do an Acid Wash? Is this super expensive or is it something that is pretty easy to do yourself? I'm probably going to wait until early spring as we are going to have a new liner installed in the pool so I would drain it first, remove old liner then do the concrete then have the new liner installed..

After I have all the old paint removed, and if the concrete is in good condition below (which I think it is, no cracks or splits or sinking area's), would it be possible to acid stain or just regular stain it?

Sorry for the long post, any information would be helpful.
Thank You!
Bill

Old 09-20-18, 10:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Acid wash doesn't have much effect on paint, it's more for bare masonry.
I'd use a chemical paint stripper along with a pressure washer [protect the pool from flying debris] or you could just hand scrape the stripper. I know a concrete stain would work well after the existing paints are removed. I don't know a lot about acid stains but the fact that the concrete was previously painted might affect how the acid stain does.

Old 09-20-18, 10:11 AM
So really my best bet is do each section with stripper and then power wash it off? I know this may sound stupid but what is the best way to protect the pool from all the stuff just blowing into it? For my lawn area, I will just put up some tarps on the fencing but for the pool itself if it's open not quite sure how to really protect it..

Thank You for the reply!

Old 09-20-18, 10:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Ideally you'd cover the pool. Otherwise erect some sort of barrier. Pressure washing away from the pool is better than nothing. While I don't recall ever removing paint from a pool deck I have from patios and such. Stripper and a PWer is the most efficient way but the paint 'chips' will fly and give you plenty to rake up.

Old 09-20-18, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
That will not be an easy job. A sandblaster would make short work of the job but is messy and dusty. Be sure to get a turbo nozzle for your pressure washer. It will help in the cleaning.

Turbo nozzle for pressure washer

You can use plastic tarps for protection. Put one side on the deck and use sandbags or rocks. In the pool you can use noodles taped or cable tied to the sides of the tarp. The tarp may take on some water but it won't sink.

Old 09-20-18, 11:03 AM
Awesome thank you guys for the advice. Much appreciated

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: