No room for Fiberon fascia board

Old 09-21-18, 12:42 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation No room for Fiberon fascia board

We are in the process of having a deck built using Fiberon decking. The contractor has done all of the framing and installed the deck flooring. He is currently working on the under deck including fascia. He has realized that he left too shallow of an overhang for the fascia board (only 0,55-0.75 inches in most places). He “assumed” the depth of the fascia board would be 0.50 but it is actually 0.75. He hasn’t offered up a solution to this dilemma at this point. The biggest issue for me is the inconsistency. If we go ahead and mount the fascia board - in some places it will be flush and in others it will extend past the deck flooring. Any suggestions?

Old 09-21-18, 01:09 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Three possible solutions. Eliminate the fascia board altogether (the quick and inexpensive method), or replace those boards that do not over hang and adjust the spacing by adding new floor boards in two pieces to make up the difference (the expensive method). You could also re-adjust those boards that do not over hang enough by moving them forward. That would leave a gap at the other end. That gap may or may not be noticeable and could be covered with corner molding.

Old 09-21-18, 01:11 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Fascia boards and decking fit flush to the rim joist so I'm not picturing your description, a picture would be very helpful!

Old 09-21-18, 03:04 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
If I understand what the contractor's problem is, you could cut the decking back so it's flush with the face of the rim joist and install the fascia so the top edge is flush with the top of the decking. When you stand on the deck looking down, you'll see the edge of the fascia.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: