matching pressure treated posts to pine beams?

Old 10-26-18, 02:24 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question matching pressure treated posts to pine beams?

Hi all,

I am building a house. On my front and reap patios I have PT 6x6 posts (touching concrete at base) holding up 6x12 pine beams. I like the look of the pine beams and I want to stain them. I have to wrap the pressure treated posts to match the pine beams above since all will be visible (I want them to be visible). My questions are:

1) Can I wrap PT posts in 1x pine to match beams? I will stain all pine to match.

2) If I can not wrap posts in pine and I must wrap in cedar; is it possible to stain pine beams and cedar wrap to match each other? Id like to get away without having to wrap upper beams also.

3) Other options?

Thanks for any input!

Sam

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-18, 02:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Welcome to the forums Sam!
Cedar will hold up better than pine but probably won't look like the pine. What type of stain do you intend to use?

Old 10-26-18, 02:33 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Mark! And Thanks!
To answer the stain question... I have not looked into that yet... I suppose I wanted to figure out what my options are with the posts, then find an appropriate stain. If there is an appropriate stain for pine that may get a little bit of weather than I'll probably want that.

Old 10-26-18, 02:53 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I would not use pine if the wood is going to see weather - PT or cedar only.

Old 10-27-18, 06:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
You'll be looking at exterior siding stains. They come in toner/translucent, semi-transparent, semi-solid and solid. The latter 2 are more like paint and won't show any of the differences in the species of wood. Semi-transparent won't show much difference between the PT and the pine. How much difference it shows between the pine and cedar depends on the cedar, especially how smooth/rough it is.

You could take scrap pieces of wood [of the different types] and apply stain to them to find out what will be acceptable to you.