Remove house wrap behind ledger board or leave it in place?

Old 11-08-18, 07:16 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove house wrap behind ledger board or leave it in place?

I知 installing a new deck and have a question about the house wrap. I知 also redoing the siding so have removed that. I知 installing new house wrap on the sheathing.
Question is: do I run the house wrap (tyvek) behind the ledger board, or cut it above the ledger and terminate it outside of the Z flashing for the ledger?

I値l try to upload a diagram of the two options i知 considering. I think option 1. Is the way to go, but just wanted to check with experts.
Thanks.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-18, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 712 Votes on 659 Posts
The house wrap is usually on first. The ledger can go on top. Slit the house wrap about 3/4" above the ledger and tuck the z flashing under the housewrap.

Old 11-08-18, 08:30 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thank you sir. So basically option 1?

Old 11-09-18, 06:45 AM
J
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
The best option if this is not a second story deck is to build this as a free standing deck so there's 0 chance of damage to the house.
In the past I've made a ton of money every year just doing repairs to homes with attached ledger boards.
PS any form of metal drip cap other than Stainless steel or copper will be distroyed if in direct contact with pressure treated wood.
If I have to use an attached ledger I install it over Storm and Ice shield attached to the wall, and use spacers I make out of 1 X 4 vinyl lumber to allow drainage.