Deck - beams over posts

Old 12-06-18, 06:30 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deck - beams over posts

Hello,
I have a question about placing beams on posts.

My deck is going to have beams spanned from a house ledger over posts and then its going to have joists over the beams.

There are 2 rows of posts about 6' apart and originally i was going to put 14' 2x8 from the ledger. But now I am thinking of doing 2 separate beams. (2 2x8 with a 2 feet overlapping).

The only reason I want to do this is that it will be easier for me to transport the lumber this way as i cant fit a 14' beam in my car (delivery options not available).

The question is, are there structural concerns from me doing 2 beams instead of 1?

for reference here are diagrams:

Option 1 - 1 beam

Name:  Deck option 1.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  29.8 KB

Option 2 - 2 beams

Name:  Deck option 2.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  31.1 KB

Old 12-06-18, 07:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Hmm... I don't recall ever seeing a beam attached to a ledger like that. You would probably need to run your plans past your building inspector or enlist the help of a structural engineer to ensure you are building it to code. Here is one helpful resource: https://awc.org/pdf/codes-standards/...Guide-1804.pdf

Notice the way beam splices are done in figure 3, and the way beams must attach to posts in figure 8b. That means you can't overlap beams, they must be butted. The seam can be reinforced with a strap tie. The size of the beam also needs to fit in the post cap, so be sure you size everything to fit the anchor.

You also have lateral load devices, figures 22, 23.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: