Guard Post Attachment

Old 03-07-19, 09:25 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Guard Post Attachment

I'm in the planning stages of my deck and need to be sure I can do the stair stringers and guard posts the way I want. The outermost stringer of both sets of stairs needs to be flush with the rim board. Is there a minimum bearing for the stringer-to-rim board connection? I want the first step to be flush with the rim as shown in the following sketch, but with a 2x10 rim board and 7.5" rise, that only gives me about 2" of bearing when using an open stringer. Attaching another board underneath the rim is not an option as there is only one post in that section. The only alternative I see is to run the stringers underneath the rim and secure to one of the inner joists. I could also use closed stringers to get almost complete bearing, except I don't think I like the look of the bottom rail on the stairs being so close to the stringer. To me, the open stringer looks better. In either case, it doesn't appear I can use a hanger on the face of the rim board, unless I notch the stringer, which is likely against code (and ugly). Looks like my best option would be to go with an open stringer attached to the last joist? Except I just realized the endmost stringer would not line up with the rim if I did so. I suppose I could attach a 2x12 fascia board to the side of the stringer to make it flush.

(These sketches are not to scale)

Open Stringer:
https://www.mediafire.com/view/5dxrv...ketch.jpg/file

Closed Stringer:
https://www.mediafire.com/view/gvati...losed.jpg/file

Open Stringer attached to joist:
https://www.mediafire.com/view/ckqpo...rOpen.jpg/file

Last edited by mossman; 03-07-19 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-07-19, 11:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Most of your questions can be answered by downloading and reading the DCA6 deck guide.

Old 03-07-19, 12:04 PM
M
I'll check it out. Thanks.

Old 03-07-19, 12:12 PM
M
Doesn't help me out with my exact issue, but I think I found a good solution. Current plant is to go with inside mount cut stringers with solid 2x12 fascia, then bolt the guard posts through the fascia and outer stringers. This will make the stringers flush with the rim board and also result in a solid connection. And attaching the guard posts to the stringers will allow me to raise the bottom rail of the stair railing slightly higher so the spacing looks more proportional to the spacing between the bottom rail of the deck railing and the deck. We'll see what the county says.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: