Tiling a carport floor

Old 04-07-19, 08:45 AM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Tiling a carport floor

If there is a better place for this post, I will kindly ask the moderator to move it accordingly.

10 years ago I painted my double carport floor with a specialty paint after preparing the surface as directed. It began to fail within a few weeks and now I have faded paint on about 50% of the floor and bare concrete on the remainder. The concrete surface is excellent with no cracks (one central expansion joint) and no chipping.

Doing the work myself, I can tile this area, 440 square feet, for about a dollar a square foot. An acceptable cost in my estimate. The tiles would be one foot square ceramic tiles. Other than the issue of being possibly slippery, I think it would be a good solution for me but I would like to get the opinions of others who have either used or considered ceramic tiles for this use.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-19, 09:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
Personally I wouldn't tile a carport floor if it's expected to have a car drive in it. I did have one customer who tiled his 2 stall garage floor .... but he was a little strange. I'd probably use a chemical stripper to remove the remaining paint.

Old 04-07-19, 10:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 620 Votes on 573 Posts
A neighbor has a tiled garage. It looks nice. It's just unusual to see a tiled garage but it is holding up. Removing the paint and preparing the floor will be the biggest part of the job. And, there are tiles that have a non-slip surface can have tile without being slippery.

Old 04-07-19, 03:56 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Prep work is going to be key - by painting the floor, plus anything leaking from cars parked on it, the surface is not currently friendly for tile adhesive.

Personally, I think I'd clean up the floor and stain it but it's your call as to whether tile is worth the cost and work.

Old 04-07-19, 05:18 PM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I went by my local big box store to buy two boxes of the tile to see if I would like the appearance. While I have done several tile projects in the past I was shocked by the weight of a box of the tiles. Since I participated heavily in the construction of my house, I know the carport fill was not properly compacted. Its got piers down to hard pan, lots of rebar and rewire but I am not willing to add the amount of weight the tile project would involve.

I will, therefore, stick to bare concrete or maybe a better paint/stain product.

Thanks.

Old 04-08-19, 05:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 620 Votes on 573 Posts
The weight of the tile is trivial. It's probably only a pound per square foot. A tiny fraction of what the concrete itself weighs or the point load where a cars tires sit.