Wrap around Deck structure

Old 04-29-19, 05:52 AM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrap around Deck structure

I am designing a wrap around deck. The main deck is 14' x 50'. The wrap around is only 8' x 5' to allow entry and exit though a side door. My question has to with the support structure. I am trying to avoid putting a post up against the house due to the depth I would have to dig the hole. Can I extend the 2x10 ledger and add an another 2x10 to create a beam out to a 6" x 6" post?

Name:  deck.JPG
Views: 2239
Size:  44.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 04-29-19 at 10:19 AM. Reason: added diagram from pdf
Old 04-29-19, 12:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,639 Likes on 1,468 Posts
Just briefly, here is a link to an example.

https://www.decks.com/how-to/46/inst...round-a-corner

Typically you want modifications like this approved by an engineer's stamp. Also left of your door or window you would likely need that beam to sit in a pocket into the house foundation/framing... then it would need a lateral restraint device. Pockets are usually tricky to seal up, they like to leak. Or perhaps an engineer could tell you if a double concealed hanger would work on the end of your ledger.

Old 04-29-19, 12:15 PM
M
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
You'll obviously need to get the plans approved by the county, but I would say yes that would likely be acceptable.

I believe the requirement is that any footing within 5ft of the main home needs to be dug down to the home's footing (undisturbed soil), so you may need to extend the area in front of the door another 6" or so (assuming a 18" square footing) so that the actual footing doesn't encroach on this 5' setback requirement. Again, the engineer at the county will tell you for sure.

Just a thought, you could rotate the joists in that 8'x6' section 90 degrees so you wouldn't have to worry about having a beam on the left side at all. Except you'd then have to run your deck boards in two different directions, or you could do a 45 for the entire deck.

Old 04-29-19, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
Mossman's last paragraph is probably the best idea for that left wing... then just add a little blocking between those joists on 16" centers (in that left wing area only) so your decking can all run the same way.

Old 04-29-19, 04:51 PM
K
Thanks for all the help. I am new to designing decks. I like the idea of running the joists perpendicular to the house. I have a permit but I got it approved with a beam starting at the corner of the house. After I read the code a billionth time, I found out I needed to dig down to the original foundation for the post near the house and I wanted to try and avoid this. I will update the design and talk to the permit office.

Old 04-29-19, 04:54 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
What area of the country are you in? Deep frost line of low frost line? Do you have a finished basement? I know we try to build free standing decks whenever possible, but this may warrant a deck with a ledge attached to the house with proper flashing to prevent water infiltration.

Old 04-29-19, 06:06 PM
K
I live in Pennsylvania where the frost depth is 36 inches and yes, my basement is finished.

Old 04-30-19, 08:28 AM
M
then just add a little blocking between those joists on 16" centers
Ah yes, blocking. Of course. Thank you.

Old 04-30-19, 12:21 PM
K
Ok, I finished sketching everything out. I like the idea of the deck boards on a diagonal. I am going to carrythe diagonal boards though to the steps. I had to decrease the joist spacing due to using Trex and putting them on a diagonal but a few more 2 x 10's is not too bad. Yes, I will also be putting in the blocking. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Deck Design R1.pdf (90.0 KB, 122 views)
Old 04-30-19, 12:32 PM
M
Rather than overlapping your ledger like you have shown, you could probably just extend the main ledger out to the post then attach the second ply on the opposite side, fastened to the shorter ledger. It wouldn't make much difference structurally, but it would prevent you from having to use longer lag screws for the overlapped section. Also, a different type of flashing may be required for that short section of doubled up ledger, which you wouldn't need if you did it the alternate way. Probably not a big deal one way or the other.

Old 04-30-19, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
The ledger should be done just as you have shown, assuming your engineer approves it, not as mossman suggests because it does make a difference structurally. I think you will regret doing the decking on a 45. Hope you have already planned your hand railing. Your beams cannot be bolted onto the sides of your posts... posts must be 6x6. And i dont know why you have two pair of doubled joists on the right half.

If you haven't already, see the DCA6 prescriptive deck guide (free download).

Old 04-30-19, 05:13 PM
K
I am curious why you say I will regret having deck boards at a 45.

The beams are are going to be attached to 6x6 posts with bolts after notching the posts in order to rest the 2x12 on the notched portion. I haven’t decided if I will keep them separated or nailing them together. The plans were approved separated as shown.

I will be installing color guard vinyl railing that will attach directly to the deck.

The double joists are in there since I want each Trex board to rest on a joist when butting them together.

Old 04-30-19, 05:18 PM
Group Moderator
If your railing sets on top of the deck that is one thing. I was imagining that if your posts extend through the deck and you have to notch the decking around the posts, thats always a real pita.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: