Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Decks, Patios, Porches, Walkways, Driveways, Stairs, Steps and Docks
Reload this Page >

Moving a 20x20 outdoor boxing ring with posts anchored in 80lb concrete blocks

Old 05-07-19, 08:27 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

Moving and can't take it with me and not advised to sell it with the house (lack of curb appeal) so a buddy wants it.

It can pretty much be disassembled with the exception of the glue.

The bottom is 2x12 boards, on top of that is 3/4" plywood sheets, on top of that is 4 layers of 1/2" carpet padding and on top of that is a weatherproof tarp.

All wood is pressure treated and all layers of carpet padding and tarp are secured via spray on adhesive.

We can take the posts out individually and move them but the platform itself is 20'x20' and couldn't be moved as a single unit.

To get to the screws holding the boards in place, the carpet padding would have to come off the wood but it was secured with spray-on adhesive.

The question is, is there a way to cleanly remove the bottom layer of carpet padding from the plywood boards so the screws are easily accessible?

Name:  br1.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  115.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-07-19 at 09:21 PM. Reason: resized picture
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-19, 09:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,176 Votes on 1,090 Posts
Carpet that was held down with spray glue peels up easily. I have a feeling your padding is going to come up in little shredded pieces requiring scraping of the plywood to get down to the screws.

Old 05-07-19, 09:53 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Just to be clear there is no carpet in the equation, only carpet padding

Old 05-07-19, 10:41 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Sorry, I am literally shaking my head as I read this....

I don't think anything is going to work that isn't either a whole lot of effort or which does a lot of damage to what you have. If you want to try to remove the padding, I would start by seeing if a heat source will soften the glue enough to let you remove it without potentially damaging the padding in the process. No promises on that.

Old 05-08-19, 05:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
A lot will depend on the adhesive you used. There is permenant and there is repositionable. The permenant spray adhesive will almost certainly shred or at least peel off part of the foam padding. The repositionable adhesive might separate cleanly if you are lucky. Being exposed long term to heat and pounding foot traffic means you really won't know until you dig into it. Personally I'd use a excavator with thumb to remove the ring. It's a lot of work to salvage something that's pretty inexpensive.