Flagstone patio where pool was

Old 05-29-19, 07:04 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flagstone patio where pool was

Recently removed an above ground pool and want to install a flagstone patio on the sand. Do I really need to dig that out and lay rocks and then sand or can I just go over the sand that was under the pool?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-19, 01:29 AM
Received 397 Votes on 371 Posts
Any kind for hard surface, flagstone, pavers, concrete will only be as good as the foundation it sits on.

Sand is soft, given enough time it will shift and your stones will begin to move.

A nice solid base of crushed limestone is the best material to use!

Old 05-30-19, 03:04 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
The good news is anything compactible under there would be compacted by now. Problem is that sand isn't compactible. Any idea how deep the sand is and what's below it?

Old 05-30-19, 05:05 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It’s probably 4 inches of sand and then just dirt. We are planning to just take the chance on installing over the sand. What’s the worst that could happen? I figure we’ll have some shifting/lifting over time that we can tweak as needed. Is it possible that the whole project would be ruined after x many years because of the sand??

Old 05-30-19, 06:26 AM
Received 397 Votes on 371 Posts
Is it possible that the whole project would be ruined after x many years because of the sand??
Depends on your definition of ruined!

It will settle, may need to be pulled up and re leveled.

Personally I have flagstone, it's just cheap, gaps allow weeds and grass to grow, gaps are huge!

My in-laws just replaced a small patio they built a few years ago, all the gaps and un-level stones, impossible to put a table and chairs on it and function properly!

Old 05-30-19, 08:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 690 Votes on 637 Posts
The worst that can happen is the patio looks like an amateurish mess and all your work is wasted. I've seen many people attempt what you want to do and they have all ended up the same. In a few years it's a rough mess with tall weeds growing up through because the jumbled stones prevent mowing. Either convert it to grass so you can mow or do the patio right.