Stain: look for recommendation

Old 06-05-19, 06:00 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stain: look for recommendation

Deck location: Manitoba, Canada
Condition: 10 years old
Exposure: part sun in morning, full sun afternoon, harsh ND winters with lots of snow
Wood type: not sure… think it is pressure treated pine
Mold/mildew issues: no
Previous stain: Behr Premium Weather Proofing All-in-one wood finfish (Cedar Natural tone 501).
Which stain (with equivalent tone to what we had) do you recommend? Do I need to remove a top layer on vertical woods? (It looks fixed strong. If yes, how?).
Thanks in advance!

Name:  s1.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  77.9 KB

Name:  s2.JPG
Views: 154
Size:  82.2 KB

Name:  s3.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  101.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 06-06-19 at 05:49 PM. Reason: reoriented/resized pictures
Old 06-05-19, 07:45 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Good wood generally looks good with a semi-transparent stain on it while wood that has suffered longer outdoors is generally better covered with a solid body stain. At least from the pics, it looks like a semi-transparent could be the right choice but 10 years old could go either way.

Rule of thumb, though, is you're only going to get a couple years out of whatever product you use. The more you're changing the color, the more you need to remove the old product.

Old 06-05-19, 10:02 PM
E
Thank you for the prompt reply!
I am also thinking about semi-transparent stain. So, I am happy I am on the right track. However there is one problem here, on a Canadian market we don't have an easy access to really good brand names. At the same time you've wrote "you're only going to get a couple years out of whatever product you use". Does it mean I can just go to Home Depot, ...and buy any semi-transparent stain and I will get the same result. In our stores I saw Olympic, Sikkens and Cabot. Or I should spend more money and order something from US (Armstrong Clark?).

Old 06-05-19, 11:13 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I honestly have no clue what products you would have available to you in Canada but around here better products are going to be found in paint stores than in paint departments. But, will it buy you an extra year? That's probably about it. Preserving wood outside is just not a job that can be done without frequent maintenance. Personally, the further north someone is, the more I recommend an oil based product but maybe that's not something available north of the border.

Old 06-06-19, 02:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Sikkens has the best reputation, then Cabot followed by Olympic. No need to remove the existing stain if it's adhered well and you aren't making a drastic color change. Why is some of the wood bare while some has stain on it? There might be a small color/texture difference between the two once you've stained.

You are past being able to use a toner or translucent stain but semi-transparent should still be doable. As far as I know semi-transparent only comes in oil base or waterborne with the latter having a longer cure time. Here in the southeast the sun and humidity is hard on oil base coatings but shouldn't be an issue that far north.

Old 06-06-19, 02:30 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Does it mean I can just go to Home Depot
Please do some searching on this site for HD products, pure krap!

Ive got Sikkens on my cedar railing, 9 years and although needing some touch up it's had an incredible run!

Old 06-06-19, 01:24 PM
E
Thank you so much for your valuable advices! "better products are going to be found in paint stores than in paint departments" I can't explain why it was not the first thing that came to my mind. What do we have right now: choice between Sikkens, Sherwin-Williams, Benjamin Moore. And the next thing is a choice between oil base and water base stains. "semi-transparent only comes in oil base or waterborne with the latter having a longer cure time". Pro for waterbone is easy to apply, cons for oil base is hard to apply (at least it was stated in paint store). Pro for oil base is better absorptions, cons for waterbone is none (they said anyway I have to refresh both after 3 years). So, how to make the right decision?

Old 06-06-19, 01:28 PM
E
" Why is some of the wood bare while some has stain on it?" We've just removed the top lyer from some of them.

Last edited by elena_vl; 06-06-19 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-06-19, 04:13 PM
Received 23 Upvotes on 20 Posts
the best i ever used here in Maine was Cabots, but still on pt wood it needs repainted every few years, and pt decks last only 10 yrs before looking like ####. go with the extra expense and have composite decking installed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: