Need help looking for rubber flange for composite deck

Old 06-06-19, 06:58 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help looking for rubber flange for composite deck

So I'm looking for a rubber flange for between my composite decking I'm installing. Have a nice downward pitch away from the house, so I want to waterproof it completely to get proper water runoff into the gutter. I came across Dexerdry, though its 40$ a strip! I'm on a budget so anybody have any other ideas that would work as an alternative? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-19, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,197 Votes on 1,107 Posts
Unfortunately there aren't many choices and I don't think they are going to be budget friendly.
Dexerdry works with it's own slotted board. Not designed for installation after deck is installed.

Your are looking for something like in the picture. Unfortunately I couldn't find any American distributors. Seems to be a big thing in the UK........ Rubber strip

Name:  strip.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  5.1 KB

Old 06-06-19, 08:55 PM
T
Thanks. Thats exactly what im looking for. So frustrating that they don't have it in the US!

Old 06-06-19, 09:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,197 Votes on 1,107 Posts
Don't give up hope. A lot of members read these threads and someone may have an idea.

Old 06-06-19, 09:30 PM
T
just came across this that may work. https://www.grainger.com/product/1XM...190607032959:s

Old 06-06-19, 09:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 721 Votes on 667 Posts
I don't want to rain on your parade, but I think you are underestimating how much composite products move, expand and contract. The window screen spline "might" work if your gap was a consistent 1/8", and never ever moved. But that's not realistic... you would never get it to stay put long term because composite planks move. The rubber glazing spline that Pete pictured "could" work if there was a groove routered in the side of each your planks for it to bite into. However it would likely also become a wavy snake when the sun hit it. Plus mfg's generally recommend planks be gapped more than 1/8".

At least in the US, most of us do not have a climate where any such product would work long term. Our temps may vary from -30C to +40C. (And products in the sun get even hotter than the air temp!) You don't have to imagine how much composite and/or rubber spline would move under conditions like that.