Deck/patio advice

Old 07-01-19, 09:03 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deck/patio advice

I currently have a 2nd story deck over a paver patio below. I'm replacing the pavers with a stamped concrete patio. Also, the deck posts are old and starting to rot slightly as they are set in the ground so I'm thinking now is the time to replace them as I'll have access to the open ground. What order should this be done? I don't want the deck footings showing once the patio is poured. Should I set the footings deeper, install the posts, and then pour the patio around the posts? Or should I pour the patio and then set the posts either anchored to the slab or cut a hole pour the footing through that?

Appreciate any advice.

Old 07-01-19, 10:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Should I set the footings deeper, install the posts, and then pour the patio around the posts?
The footing needs to be below frost, whatever your area requires. Then a 12" pier should be placed on the footing, the top of that pier will need to be flush with your finished stamped patio. Your pad will be poured around that. For a good detail of footings, piers and post connections, Google the DCA6 deck guide. It's a free download.

You see, your pad is subject to frost (rising and falling) whereas the pier is not. So you need an expansion joint around the perimeter of your pier. If you want to have the top of your pier stamped and colored, simply fill the pier 4" from the top, then add the final 4" when you pour and stamp the pad. However you still need the expansion joint around the pier. In the end, this will be a caulk joint. Then place your posts in adjustable post brackets fastened in the middle with a single 8" long concrete anchor.

The pad cannot be poured on top of the piers because frost would lift the pad and posts off of the foundation. However, if you live where there is no frost, this might be acceptable to your inspectors too.

Old 07-01-19, 10:26 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for the detailed response. Yuck, I'm in MI (42" frost line). So thinking I'll pour my footer, leave it 4" short sink a longer bolt in it for the post bracket that will extend up through the stamped once it's poured. And then put the bracket on top of the stamped and cut an expansion joint around it. Or is there a decent way to hide a raw concrete footing once the stamped is poured around 8t and the post is in? If I use a 6x6 post I'd only have to hide an inch on each side
right?

Old 07-01-19, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Like I said, you will use expansion joint around the pier... it's a 1/4" - 1/2" thick x 4" thick foam that physically separates the pier from the pad... then the top of it gets caulked to prevent ice and water intrusion. Minimum size of a pier is 12" diameter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: