Gravel driveway

Old 08-01-19, 10:07 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gravel driveway

I’d like to add a 30x30 gravel parking pad to my driveway. I’ve hired a tree company to cut down several trees as well as grind the stumps. This area is fairly wet in the spring so I’m looking for recommendations on how thick the stone base should be and what kinds of stone to use. Ii was told to use the largest stone ( 2”) on the bottom layer followed by layers of smaller stone with crusher run on the top. I will border it with pressure treated lumber.Wondering if 3 layers of approx 3”-4”thick would be enough for drainage and support ...Total would be 9-12”. Any feedback is appreciated . Thank you

Old 08-01-19, 11:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Your plan with multiple layers of stone sounds good. Were any of the stumps located in the parking area? If so I would remove all the sawdust and loose dirt you can and fill the hole with crushed stone. Eventually the remainder of the roots will rot away so in a few years you may have a low spot but you can just top it off with more crusher run to fill it in.

Old 08-01-19, 03:17 PM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
I have a gravel driveway and garage ramp. It is built up with 2' of trap rock with at least 6" of gravel on top. The driveway is 30 years old. You say that the area you want to build up is in a wet area. Be aware that the fines in the gravel will wash out - frequently. Every 2-3 years I have to add (and roll) 8-10 yards of gravel over the length of the drive. It looks good for a while but winter and spring rains take a toll.

My point is take a good look at what you can do for drainage. What I have decided to do after 30 years is to pave it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: