Replacing ledger board: loose lag screws

Old 10-13-19, 10:18 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing ledger board: loose lag screws

Howdy all, I recently started replacing the ledger board on my deck. I took out the old lag screws (5/8x5”) and board and put up a new one. However as I was tightening the lag screws I noticed that some were not tightening very well. Seems some of the holes are stripped. The ledger board is attached to stucco outside and into the wood frame of the house (2nd story). Is there any way to repair some of these holes? I’ve read about people using epoxy or filling with wood chips like toothpicks and wood glue but these are fairly large screws and not sure if they’ll hold up well. Any advice is appreciated!

Name:  ledger.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  56.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-13-19 at 10:56 PM. Reason: added pic from link
Old 10-13-19, 10:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,318 Votes on 1,218 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The ledger board is attached to stucco outside and into the wood frame of the house
It's definitely attached to the stucco but more likely to the sheathing and not the actual framing.

deefer voted this post useful.
Old 10-14-19, 04:59 AM
B
Received 100 Votes on 87 Posts
If you are using the old holes in the wall, get larger diameter lag bolts. If you are drilling new holes, make the hole in the wall a smaller diameter (1/8-3/16) than the lag bolt diameter and the hole in the ledger the diameter of the lag bolt.

deefer voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: