Resisto tape on double joist

Old 10-21-19, 07:02 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Resisto tape on double joist

I hope I can describe this properly. I have 16' x 16' picture frame deck . At each end , perpendicular to the main decking , I doubled up 2 x 16' joists together, one for the main decking to land on and one for the deck board that frames the deck . I then put joist tape over both .Now I think water is just going to sit on this tape at the end of the main decking boards and just rot out the ends .
I had an idea to drill 1/4" holes straight down between the 2 joists at every deck joint for water to drain ,I' m thinking that would increase the chance of the joists rotting
Any thought or advice would be appreciated

Last edited by guiykath; 10-21-19 at 07:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-21-19, 07:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I think you have probably hit on one of the reasons not to use any of that tape in the first place. Your boards will all be sitting on puddles of water that won't dry out quickly.

The house I'm currently residing has a similar problem. The builder (15 yrs ago) put on an 8" band of poly around the bottom plate and rim joist to act as a protective membrane for the siding. Problem is, it rotted the siding out because there was no way for the siding to dry in both directions. It was always wet. So it likely rotted the siding twice as fast as it would have otherwise.

IMO, drilling holes in your membrane isn't much better than not using any membrane in the first place. 1/4" holes are just going to get plugged with crud almost instantly.

Protecting deck joists with membranes sound like a good idea but IMO it isn't.

Old 10-22-19, 05:47 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I guess I should have somehow made a gap between the 2 joists .
I've read that some people put some kind of epoxy on the end grain of the deck boards.
Anyone know what kind
That would help the ends to not soak up all that water ,

Old 10-22-19, 05:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Yes, the blocking should have been spaced to allow a gap for drainage. Anchorseal2 is the product I have used on cut ends.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: